I mentioned in last week’s blog post of how JOY just seemed to emanate from my wife-to-be, when I first met her in high school. It was the main (of many) attributes that caught and kept my attention on her throughout the years… until she took her last breath in 2018. But you know… I wasn’t the only one whose attention was caught when she walked into a room. She had… what I am learning lately to call… a visibly bright PERSONALITY of JOY!
It seemed to
precede her wherever she went and never dimmish in intensity… even as the first
physically manifested effects of Alzheimer’s began to slowly present themselves
in her body when we went to Oklahoma for Bible School between 2006 - 2009. If you recall my personal, experience-based
translation of our verse from last week’s post* in Nehemiah 8:10,
I described the JOY that we have in the Lord… the kind of JOY
that we take personal possession and ownership of as,
“The foundational STRENGTH
of all our inherent ABILITIES and God given GIFTINGS and TALENTS.”**
The JOY that
she had in the Lord was always on show for anyone to take advantage (in the
most encouraging manner) of… And that JOY made her a very
capable, willing and easily accepted minister of the Gospel of love. Within a few weeks of us making our new home
in Broken Arrow, she had made close friends with the elderly Walmart Greeter at
the Super Walmart near our home as well with the young black manager at the
Dollar Tree in the little strip mall next door.
No matter where
in the store the manager was when we walked into that Dollar Store, the manager
would spot Piper in the mirrors around the interior and would literally yell
out “Hello Honey!” in her thick Southern accent! Then they would meet up and hug like long
lost friends.
In John 15:11
Jesus had just finished teaching the crowd that had gathered around Him the
importance of obeying the Word of His Father and thereby abiding in His love… and
summed it up by explaining,
"I've told you these
things for a purpose: that my JOY might be your JOY, and your JOY be wholly
mature.” (The Message Bible)
That word ‘mature’
not only infers the idea of “being complete and satisfied,” but also
conveys the ability to “pervade someone or something with influence.”
Now stick
with me here… just what
kind of influence are we talking about when we discuss “the JOY that
we have in the Lord?”** Well… it
just so happens that the Apostle Paul gives us that answer in Galatians 5:22-23. In these verses Paul names JOY
as one of the first Fruit of the Spirit saying,
“But the fruit produced
by the Holy Spirit within you is divine LOVE in all its varied
expressions: JOY that overflows, Peace that subdues, Patience that endures, Kindness
in action, a life full of Virtue, Faith that prevails, Gentleness of heart, and
Self Control. (and) Never set the law above
these qualities, for they are meant to be limitless.” (The Message/God’s Word ©)
So… when I read this in the understanding
of the strength or “influence” that JOY carries with it
when it walks into a room… through an anointed and yielded individual… I
can’t help but to realize that JOY has a unique and specialized PERSONALITY! And what are the unique capabilities and/or
characteristics of that PERSONALITY type?
Well… as one
of the first Fruit of the Spirit,
the PERSONALITY of JOY is part and parcel of and
includes characteristics of all the fruit including, PEACE, PATIENCE,
KINDNESS, VIRTUE, FAITH, GENTLENESS and SELF-CONTROL!
I was reading
an article in the summer edition of Country Living Magazine yesterday, and it
colorfully described the effect of a re-decorated room in a lakeside cabin … as
a brightly and JOY-fully decorated living space… Writing that “it arrives in a riot of color
and that,
There is a particular kind
of JOY that announces itself before you’ve even crossed the threshold!”
And you know… I think that perfectly describes the
same thing that can happen when you or I are operating within the anointing of
the PERSONALITY of JOY and approach a room full of people! I saw it over and over again when Piper and
others like her walked into a room. Eyes
are instantly drawn to them and growing smiles can’t help but appear on other’s
faces when the Peace, Patience, Kindness, Virtue, Faith, Gentleness
and Self-control that’s associated with the PERSONALITY of
JOY say’s “Hi!”
I’ll never
forget the time when I wheeled my non-verbal wife from the waiting room of our
Neurologist at the Brain Heath Center in San Francisco, into the doctor’s
examination rooms and a female patient seated near the door leaned over and
touched my hand with a big smile and gently said “Your wife has such a sweet
spirit about her!”
With tears in
my eyes, I profusely thanked the lady for her kindness and couldn’t help but
realize that the PESONALITY of JOY that pervaded my wife’s being,
was not subject to her physical ability to converse or even smile at that time…
but was an inner strength and anointing that she had happily and studiously pursued
her entire life... and it brightly and colorfully presented itself even as she
lost her physical abilities.
That’s the PERSONALITY
type that I also seek to continue to pursue, acquire and increase
in my personal life… How about you?
Have you ever noticed what
happens when you walk into a room?
Have a terrific
weekend and take a few quiet moments today – on the anniversary of the
911 attacks that happened 25 years ago – and remember the lives that
were stolen as well as all of those who were directly and indirectly affected
that day…
We’ll most
likely talk about the subject of JOY for a few more posts to
come… so keep an eye out for next week’s post!
*https://pjberruto.blogspot.com/2026/09/the-strength-of-your-joy.html
**Taken from The King James and Apostolic Bible
Polyglot with Strong’s numbers versions and personalized from a word study on
the original Hebrew and Greek translations of Nehemiah 8:10
No comments:
Post a Comment
Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.