Spring 2024 has come upon us in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, July 27, 2024

The Relation Between LOVE and FAITH

Let’s talk a little more about LOVE… and for me to discuss the subject of LOVE, I simply can’t get away from using the example of how much I loved my wife, Piper.  From the very first weeks of our dating days, I knew that she was something special… and I knew with ever-increasing degrees of certainty, that I wanted to take good care of her, protect her and eventually spend the rest of my life with her at my side.

I had some good examples within my family of the way in which a husband should love and care for his wife.  From my perspective, it seemed that the men in a 100% Italian household put their wives on a sort of pedestal… not in an untouchable position… but one in with they were honored and respected for their abilities, wisdom and insight (not to mention the magic they seemed to perform in the kitchen*).  They were treated as equals and seemed to flow as one with their husbands in the performance of their daily lives.

That’s not to say that they didn’t have arguments and disagreements.  My Mom definitely had a fiery side that could become vocally fierce at times, but when push-came-to-shove, there was a LOVE between them that solidly bound them together as the firm foundation of their marriage… that always had the final say-so in any situation.

So, with that example set before me throughout my childhood… being vividly displayed from not only my parents but also with Grandparents, and aunts and uncles, it was with the same understanding and passion in which Piper and I sought to live our life together.

I concluded our last blog post with the statement that,

“The demonstrated LOVE of Christ is the firm foundation that will empower us as we endeavor to continually strengthen and confirm our ATTITUDE and EXPECTATION as a CONQUEROR through Christ in this life.”**

And so… with that point reiterated… let me state the unequivocal Biblical fact that without LOVE there can be no expectation of a FAITH that will empower you and me to CONQUER any situation in life!  The Aposte Paul set the standard when he declared in Galatians 5:6 that,

“In our union with Christ Jesus, no outward performance or ritual can produce the vital transformation*** -- For all that matters is our FAITH that is spurred on to action by LOVE.” (Williams/BCJohnson NT Versions)

The more familiar King James Version states it as “FAITH which worketh by LOVE.”  I personally like the idea of my FAITH being spurred into an active state through LOVE. 

John, who was known as the Apostle of LOVE, explains why FAITH can’t work without LOVE.  In 1 John 4:18-19 he explains that,

“No FEAR exists where His LOVE is. Rather, perfect LOVE gets rid of FEAR, because FEAR involves punishment. The person who lives in FEAR doesn't have perfect LOVE.  We LOVE because God LOVED us first.” (God’s Word ©) 

For you see, FEAR is the cause of doubt and unbelief… and according to the book of James, an individual who is harboring any doubt “shouldn't expect to receive anything from the Lord.” (See James 1:7-9)

So again, let me repeat: No LOVE, No FAITH!

I’ve written before of the limited but very vocal opposition… to just about every decision I was making concerning Piper’s care when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.  In the midst of the confusion that it brought to me, I realized that the LOVE that I held for my wife was under siege. 

It frustrated me because these individuals seemed to be blinded to the deep and loving relationship that my wife and I enjoyed… and that no questioning or inference from them of my having selfish motives would in any way shape or form… move me or Piper from the firm foundation of LOVE that we had purposely and passionately (I’m Italian… what can I say…) developed over the many years of our life together.

The same can also be said for the spiritual side of the battle that Piper and I fought during that time.  It was our deeply personal, experiential knowledge of the intimate depth of God’s LOVE for the two of us, that kept us on a steady course of FAITH in His Word… because we knew that we knewwithout any doubt - that He would ALWAYS be true to His Word that we were standing on… and He never failed us.

So…. Have you ever wondered why something didn’t work out the way you had hoped it would?  The way you were “standing in FAITH for?  Well then… Maybe today’s post will have some special significance to you!

The Bible makes it pretty clear that “Without FAITH it is impossible to please God.” (See; Hebrews 11:6)  But it also goes on to teach us that our FAITH won’t do us a bit of good if we are not allowing the LOVE of God to be the foundation and the working component of our FAITH.

No LOVE = No FAITH!  It is as simple as that. 

…and remember that “We LOVE because God LOVED us first.”  He did it first.  He established the process and now He is with us to help us to have the wisdom, the strength, the patience and the ability to do the same!

Have a GREAT weekend and let His LOVE spur you on to actions of FAITH today.

 

*One has to understand that food and the preparation of it is a big part of the Italian culture.

**https://pjberruto.blogspot.com/2024/07/the-attitude-and-expectation-of.html

***which according to Galatians 5:1 is “the freedom with which Christ has made us free” as born-again Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.