Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, April 6, 2024

It's All Part of the Family (Name - pt4)

I don’t think that I had ever been more excited than the night I was to ask Piper to marry me, back in the summer of 1973.  I had it all planned out.  I would take her to our favorite restaurant, get seated in one of their private booths and when the time was right, take out the tiny jewelry box that I would cleverly hide in my boot and ask her to marry me… to which she would instantly reply with tears in her eyes… a resounding “YES!  I will marry you, Jim.”

Well… as with the best of plans… it didn’t quite happen the way in which I had repeatedly dreamed it.  The restaurant did not take reservations and being as it was a packed weekend evening, they could not hold a booth for us and seated us at a tiny table… practically on top of the table next to us in the midst of the dining area.

So, as you can imagine… that wasn’t going to work and I quickly devised another plan where I could propose to her in the privacy of my MGB in the parking lot… not quite as romantic… but then again… we did spend a lot of time in the car after dates for the last 3 years!  Anyway… I clumsily pulled the little box out of the top of my boot (there’s not a lot of room in an MGB), slowly opened it up, looked deeply into her mesmerizing brown eyes and asked her to marry me… to which she replied… no wait… she didn’t reply with any words but instead… burst out laughing!

I have to admit that her reaction did perplex me a tad, but she quickly gained back her composure and with tears in her eyes… gave me a resounding “YES!” and the rest is history!

I was reminded of the events of that wonderful night as I continued my study on the NAME of Jesus.  In Galatians 3:17 the Apostle Paul tells us,

“For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.” (KJV)

Some literal translations of the Bible, as well as other verses that relate the same message, state Paul’s meaning as being baptized into the NAME of the Lord Jesus.*  E.W. Kenyon** explains how these verses relate to my experience with Piper in 1973.  He wrote,

“Baptism in this sense (in Galatians 3:27), is equivalent to marriage.  When the wife puts on marriage, she takes her husband’s name and enters into her husband’s possessions and has legal rights in his home.  So, when the believer is baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus, he puts on the name of the Lord Jesus… and takes on his legal rights and privileges in Christ.”

As I prayed over these truths, I also began to realize that in marriage, the wife is also baptized or immersed into the husband’s family traditions, lifestyle and culture… just as the believer is with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

When Piper married me, she became a vital part of a 100% Italian family where the men adored their wives, honored and respected them and encouraged and supported them in the pursuit of their dreams and the development of their gifts and talents.  It was an example that I had witnessed throughout my childhood with my grandfather, my dad and my uncle. 

In my family upbringing, the wives were the crown jewel of the marriage and within the family unit.  And that is exactly what I purposed to do with Piper throughout the 48 years of our dating days and marriage… and everything I had and gained through the years was equally available to her.

As a Christian baptized into the NAME of Jesus, you and I have that same kind of involvement and rights in the NAME of Jesus!  Mounce Concise Greek-English Dictionary tells us that the NAME of Jesus Christ includes,

“the word and/or doctrine of Christ and the distinctive privileges of the gospel of Christ.” (Strong’s word number G5547)

I John 4:17 declares that,

“Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as He is, so are we in this world.” (KJV)

So… if you didn’t know this before… you know it now!  And this new understanding should greatly enhance your prayers, your self-worth and the way you look at and live your daily lives!

What do you think about that?

Have a wonderful weekend, enjoy the seasonal change from winter to spring and give glory and honor to God for His rights and benefits that are yours in the NAME of the Lord Jesus Christ!   And YES… there is more to come on this subject…

 

*See: Matthew 28:19, Acts 8:16, Acts 19:5, I Corinthians 1:13

** The Wonderful Name of Jesus by E.W. Kenyon, thirty-first printing © 1998, Kenyon Gospel Publishing Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.