Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, March 30, 2024

What's In a NAME - pt 3

When Fiver and I were returning from the neighborhood park on our morning walk yesterday, I spotted what looked to be a young father bringing up his garbage cans from the curb with an adorable little blond-haired girl walking behind him and following his every footstep.  When the little girl caught a glimpse of Fiver, she smiled brightly and pointed to him and said something, to which the father turned and responded with a grin and some nice words about the big white doggie.  When I saw them looking our way, I called out and declared to the dad “You’ve got quite a good helper there!”

Well… I think that I made that father’s day as he immediately broke into a big smile and pointed to the other side of his house (which was blocked from my view) and stated, “And I’ve got another good helper over there as well!”  Fiver and I returned his happy comments with a thumbs up from me and an exaggerated full body wag from Fiver and we proceeded along our way home.

That quick interaction got me to thinking about what the scriptures say when we speak out the familiar NAME of Jesus.  In the second chapter of the Biblical book of Philippians, the Apostle Paul talks about the results of that first Easter a few thousand years ago.  In speaking of what we today call Holy Week, Paul explains,

“And being found in fashion as a man, He (Jesus) humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.  Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him, and given Him a NAME which is above every NAME:  That at the NAME of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;  And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:8-11 – KJV) 

Paul, along with the Apostle John and other writers of the New Testament, make it pretty clear that God the Father is pleased when we speak out and act in the NAME of His Son Jesus.*  The love of the Father God toward His Son Jesus, is described and explained in great detail throughout the entire New Testament and in prophecies scattered throughout the Old Testament.

Therefore, I can’t help but to see the similarities between the Father God, when we speak the Name of His Son, and the young father’s joyful reaction when I acknowledged His cute kids yesterday morning!  I also have a very deep and personal experience in this regard.

During the last few years of Piper’s life, when she was in the clutches of Alzheimer’s, my kids and I began to notice, much to my confusion and frustration, that some of Piper’s extended family had stopped asking about her or even mentioning her name in our limited phone conversations.  And to be honest, I don’t know if they even realized their omission of her existence or not. 

What I did notice at the time, was that it really bothered me… to the point that it physically and emotionally hurt me… and I realized that it was because of the wonderful and deep personal relationship that Piper and I enjoyed together.  We were one and excluding her was like someone was attempting to cut me in half. 

But I did have to laugh recently when I read Jesus’ reply to the Pharisees when they implored Jesus to tell His followers to STOP acknowledging Him and His place in the kingdom of God, when Jesus made His triumphal entry into Jerusalem on His way to the cross… that would result in the event that we will celebrate tomorrow on EASTER SUNDAY.

The story is told in Luke 19:28-40.  When the Pharisees indignantly commanded Jesus to silence His followers or as The Message Bible puts it, "Teacher, get your disciples under control!" Jesus succinctly replied,

"I tell you that if they keep quiet, the stones themselves will start shouting." (Luke 19:39-40 – GNB)

I found myself laughing aloud as I remembered that even when some close to us stopped talking about Piper or even mentioning her name… that random strangers would come up to us in parking lots, on our daily walks, at doctor visits or in Walmart and other stores in California, Oklahoma and North Carolina… and want to talk to and know all about her! 

When you and I speak out and use the NAME of Jesus in the course of our daily lives, it connects us with the divine favor, influence and power of the throne of God.  According to Philippians 2:11… Speaking the NAME of Jesus brings glory and honor to God the Father… just like anyone mentioning Piper’s name or just wanting to know something about her… still makes my heart swell with love, joy and thanksgiving today!

But Wait… There’s a lot more to the use of the NAME of Jesus… So much so that it was the last thing that Jesus talked to us about before He ascended into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God in the throne room of heaven!  At the end of the books of Matthew and Mark, we find it referred to as “The Great Commission” and it is to be the focus and calling of our lives on this earth.  So… stay in tune as there is more to come!

I pray that each of you have a happy, blessed and giving celebration of Easter this year!

And remember that the NAME of Jesus is a multi-faceted, power-packed and love-filled power source that originates in the very throne room of God.  Therefore, I encourage each of you to speak out that NAME not only this EASTER… but throughout the year ahead!

 

*See: Ephesians 1:19-22, Ephesians 3:17-23, John 5:23, John 13:31-32, John 14:13, John 14:23, John 16:14-15, John 17:1, 1Pe 1:21 etc;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.