Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, February 19, 2024

Fiver's 411

“All of you came to me and said, "Let's send men ahead of us to gather INFORMATION about the land for us.  Have them report to us about the route we should take and the cities we'll come to." (Deuteronomy 1:22 - God’s Word ©)

I was thinking the other day that not much has changed in my morning schedule since Piper’s homegoing a few years ago.  I still get up around seven every morning, get the coffee going and head into my study to spend an hour or so with the Lord, reading and interacting with Him through my investigations of His Word. 

Being as my study faces our front yard with views of the cul-de-sac and the adjoining city golf course, Fiver enjoys standing at the window and watching the outside activities as the neighborhood wakes up and depending on the weather, the golfers who populate the greens.  I’ve gotten into the habit of cracking one of the windows open about an inch (or more depending on the temperature…) so that he can not only catch the sights outside but also the sounds and smells of the new day.

I usually make a big deal over the opening the window so that he gets a little excited, perks up his ears and hastens to the window sill.  Once there and he presses his nose against the screen, I’ll plop back down onto my desk chair and tell him to go ahead and give me the INFORMATION or “411” for the day!  It is amazing to see how much sharper his senses are when the window is open.  He’ll start softly whimpering a few seconds before a walker comes into view and even louder if they have a dog with them! 

He'll take note of the golfers and especially so if they are talking to each other, keeps track of the two neighbors across the street who leave for work the same time each day and turns a very watchful eye on any unfamiliar vehicles that turn around in the cul-de-sac… and don’t even get me started with the noisy lawn mowers performing their daily trims of the golf course lawns… Whew!  He does NOT like loud engines or noises of any kind!

When he is satisfied with his first observations of the day, he’ll usually back up a step or two and lay down on the rug right in front of the window… while looking up expectantly at me.  And I’ll play along, turn in my squeaky but comfortable desk chair and ask him for his morning INFORMATIONAL report of our neighborhood.   I’ll say “Fiver, what’s the 411?” and he’ll look at me like I’m crazy, put his head down between his legs and close his eyes!  And so, the morning ritual goes and I’ll laugh as I turn in my chair and get lost in conversation with Lord!

I’ve been involved in a situation lately where I have had the opportunity to share a lot of counsel with some individuals in need.  As I have prepared for our times together, I have found myself praying and then searching through my Bible for just the right and succinct INFORMATION or “411” that would best satisfy the particular needs of this situation.  And as has been my practice over the years of my ever-growing personal Christian experience, I find that God continues to have the uncanny ability to bring me to the exact portions of His Word that are helpful to those reaching out for assistance.

The section scripture that has provided a solid foundation for the thoughts that I have been sharing recently, is one that I wrote about in a blog post a few weeks ago.  It is found within the third chapter of the book of James.  Here the Pastor is discussing God – like WISDOM and looks at its results in contrast to the effects of natural thoughts and ideas that come from a heart of anger, selfishness and/or fear. 

He stated that,

“Real wisdom originates in heaven and is always pure, healing, restorative, kind, compassionate, selfless, merciful, peaceful, transformational, unbiased, and sincere.”*

While,

“selfishness, envy, and all violations of God’s law of love break his design for life and cause chaos, disease, suffering, and everything evil.”* 

Informational scriptures such as these give me the 411 that I need in order to best prepare me for the events of life and to address and successfully work through the situations that I am involved with.  When asked for advice or assistance from those in need, I have discovered that God’s 411 always presents the most logical, compassionate and healing solutions to whatever or whomever this situation has entangled.

I guess you could say that my Bible… otherwise known as God’s 411 manual… has become my GO-TO source whenever proven, reliable and long-lasting tools for the successful navigation through the journey of life are sought… and I am NOT alone in this practice!  “According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Bible has now been printed over a billion times in more than 2,400 languages, making it the most-printed book in history.”**

SO… Just like I open the window for my four-footed furry friend each morning and charge him to sniff out the neighborhood and give me the 411 before we step out on our morning walk… I also take the time to study and sniff out God’s 411 for whatever or whomever comes across the pathways of my life each and every day.

I like to be in the KNOW… and I like to Be PreparedDON’T YOU?

Have a great President’s Day today… and speaking of President’s Day… I got to thinking this morning that a President’s merits are judged by what they do with the INFORMATION or 411 that they receive while in office.  I guess that the same could be said about you and me too!  I wonder what the history books will record from my life… or yours?

__________________

*James 3:17,16 – The Remedy New Testament

**The Holy Script –

https://www.theholyscript.com/how-many-copies-of-the-bible-have-been-sold/#:~:text=The%20first%20printing%20of%20the%20Bible%20was%20in,languages%2C%20making%20it%20the%20most-printed%20book%20in%20history.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.