Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, January 27, 2024

Wisdom is...

I was thinking back the other day about my life and careers that I worked in during my adult life.  I say “CAREERS” because while my 20 years spent with Hewlett-Packard/Agilent Technologies, many years with Sears, Unruh’s Photography, The Home Depot and the multitude of side jobs I performed from wedding and portrait photography to mowing lawns, would be considered to be my VOCATION… But my true and heartfelt CALLING was to the Ministry… in which Piper and I were involved with since practically day one of our relationship!

What struck me a little funny as I took a stroll down memory lane, was that even though I was many times asked to take a leadership role in almost all of those occupations… I didn’t always employ a lot of WISDOM in the performance of my responsibilities!  I think back in particular to the first areas at Hewlett Packard when I supervised teams in the fabrication area of the division and I cringe at some of the things I said or did to those under my direction…

And then… OMG! I don’t know how any of the youth in the first Youth Group that Piper and I led as Youth Ministers in the late 1970’s, stuck with us and are still strong Christians today!  I guess God’s GRACE really is an extremely powerful agent of His LOVE for us!

On a more positive note, though, I would also have to admit that I believe that I did and continue to learn from my mistakes.  As I grew in my hunger and thirst for the Word of God and spent time learning and listening to Him… I would say that the things that I say and do today, line up a lot more succinctly with the ways that He thinks and desires me to walk and lead others in.

James the pastor of the early church in Jerusalem gave us a specific but yet simple litmus test for when we seek to share WISDOM with others.  In James 3:17 he wrote,

“Real wisdom originates in heaven and is always pure, healing, restorative, kind, compassionate, selfless, merciful, peaceful, transformational, unbiased, and sincere.”  (The Remedy New Testament) 

For me, James’ advice acts as a sort of checklist that I can consider when I talk with others in everyday conversation or when asked for specific counsel from others with a need.  The King James Version tells us,

“But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.” 

As I did a word study on the different descriptive words in the verse, a couple of things especially stood out to me.  The word “PEACEABLE” is defined in the Greek as “peaceful in character and intent” (Strongs) and it helps me to think of the way that I need to approach the individual that I am conversing with.  In other words, I am not speaking in frustration or anger or as a know-it-all, but as someone who truly cares for and wants the best outcome for the other individual(s).

The phrase “easy to be intreated” talks of one who is “devoted to” the best possible outcome for the situation at hand.  This got me to thinking that the one sharing their WISDOM with someone else, should be more devoted to the other person and their need… than to themselves and how the conversation can positively affect them.  I have had some folks in the past share (or simply command) what they thought I should do… and then found myself thinking… “was that “advice” for MY peaceful benefit or for THEIRS!  In my experience, that kind of “WISDOM” is more confusing than helpful!

And then the clincher for me was found in the definition of the phrase “good fruits.”  Thayer’s Greek Definitions tells us that the WISDOM that we share with others, should be “something that we can present to God as a thank offering.”

That makes me stop and think before I ever open my mouth when I am about to share some “WISDOM” with someone.  I like the way in which The Remedy breaks down the verse from the King James and spells out the specific direction in which our words to others should take…  and then to keep in mind throughout the entire conversation… that in the end… are my words “something that we can present to God as a thank offering?”

That phrase alone helps me to be diligent with the things I say and assure that the WISDOM I share truly is the “Real WISDOM that originates from heaven,” and not just something I THOUGHT would be good and/or appropriate to say!

What do you think about that?

We’ve just gone through a crazy weather week that has thrown at us just about everything that Oklahoma has to offer.  This morning’s weather front is on the way out right now and I am looking forward to the sunshine and temps up into the low sixties forecast for next week… Yee Haw!  I hope you are all doing well wherever you might be… and while you’re at it… consider the WISDOM that you share with others… while keeping in mind how thankful to God your words of WISDOM are… or can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.