Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, November 18, 2023

Adventures in GRACE!

As I continued to study the Word today through the idea or predetermined filter of “ADVENTURE, I found some interesting scriptures that talk about GRACE. 

Through the whole ADVENTURE of faith that Piper and I experienced with the attack of Alzheimer’s upon the last twelve years of her life, and the ensuing five years since then, I have come to understand that God’s GRACE is the power of His love toward us, in us, for us and through us unto others.

I found it exciting this morning as I read from some of the initial mentions of the GRACE of God at the very beginning of the New Testament gospel message, when Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist, prophesied of the soon coming Savior declaring:

“Praise be to the exalted Lord God of Israel, for He has seen us through eyes of GRACE, and He comes as our Hero-God to set us free!” (Luke 1:68 - The Passion Translation) 

I had never seen this verse translated with this amount of description before, so I had to go back to the familiar King James rendering of this verse and look at the original Greek meanings of the words… and you know what?  The above Passion Translation does bring out the actual intent of Zechariah’s words.

And that is when the revelations of the Biblical “Adventures of GRACE” flooded my mind… and my heart exploded with fireworks as I sat back in my chair and shouted out loud that: “God looks at us… at you and me… through the eyes of GRACE!

That’s why verses of scripture like Romans 8:1 are so important and even foundational to our personal faith.  In speaking to us Christians, the Apostle Paul simply but yet concisely writes,

“There is therefore NOW NO condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus.” (KJV) 

If some of you go back to do your due diligence and check this out in your own King James Bible, you will see that I did not include the last ten words written therein that say, “who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.”  Most theologians agree that the last phrase is not a part of the original manuscripts.  The renown American pastor, author and theologian C.I. Scofield (1843-1921) notated in his bestselling annotated Bible that, “The statement ends with "Christ Jesus"; the last ten words are interpolated.”  From what I have seen, the vast majority of the more modern translations exclude the last phrase.

I believe the Apostle Paul was emphasizing the power of the GRACE of God in Romans 8:1 by clearly stating that the blessings of God only come to us through the power of His loving GRACE and NOT through following an Old Testament-like system of Do’s and Don’ts.  Does that mean that we don’t need to live our lives according to Jesus’ standard of love?  Of course not!  But it places the emphasis of how and why we live holy lives, on the ever-growing foundation of our love for God and our acceptance of His amazing GRACE that functions toward us, in us, for us and through us unto those around us!

Our scripture in Luke 1:68 tells us that God looks at you and me - and the activities of our daily lives - through the eyes of GRACE… and NOT with condemnation!  And if you, like me, take Jesus as your example to follow in this life… then we should be doing the same… right?

Proverbs 3:5 tells us to,

“Trust the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding.” (God’s Word ©) 

Another translation says to “not rely on your own opinion”*

When I look back on this verse, I often wonder how many times I have looked at people or at situations with the filter of my own opinion… and thereby judging or forming my response by my own life experiences… without the benefit of knowing the point of view of those involved.  Does any of that sound familiar?

I realized as I was forming my own opinion this morning, while watching a neighbor from my study window, while enjoying my daily Bible study, that I really had no idea what they were doing.  As it turns out, I do my morning Bible study at the same time everyday and I notice some of my neighbors following certain routines.  The individual I saw today has a weekend routine where they come out when I’m studying, jump into their vehicle, drive away and then return a few moments later with a cup of coffee and a small white bag. 

So today when they came out looking like they had just got up, wearing running shorts, slippers and a heavy coat (it was 35 degrees outside) and hopped in their truck, I assumed that I’d witness the return trip as usual… but you know… they never came back… at least for the next hour while I was in my study.  At one point I got up and walked into the kitchen to pour myself a freshly brewed cup of coffee and then returned to the study. 

Once in there, I stood in front of the window and started talking to the dog who was resting comfortably on the loveseat next to me, about all the things that our neighbor could be doing… when I suddenly stopped and laughed as I realized that I had absolutely NO idea what the person was up to.  I hardly know the individual and was coming up with an opinion of what they were doing based on MY personal life experiences… that may or may not have anything in common with my neighbor’s!

Then I looked over at my Bible opened up on my desk and read from Luke 1:68 and thought… Hummm… I should be looking at this situation through the eyes of GRACE… through the eyes of the power of God’s love in action!  And so, I didand found myself praying blessings and protection for my neighbor… then I sat back down at my desk and continued my morning study!

What do you think about that?  Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation?  I’ve been on both sides of that coin… both judging people unfairly and also being judged unfairly by others… who had absolutely NO idea what they were talking about… and neither one of those experiences felt very good!

I’m learning that seeing myself and others through the eyes of God’s GRACE brings freedom, peace and the breath of Godly LIFE into not only my life… but also into the lives of the others involved!  And you know… It makes for a pretty sweet life!

So, have a sweet weekend as you begin to see life around you… through the eyes of God’s GRACE!

 

*The Passion Translation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.