Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, October 11, 2023

PRACTICE!

I have been thoroughly enjoying the privacy of my backyard since we finally got the fence repaired and back up a few weeks ago.  Three quarters of the fence separating my house from my neighbors behind me, came down in the early morning hours of Father’s Day when a vicious storm, boasting 100 mph winds blew through the area.

The home behind me is a rental and the ensuing process of working with the management company turned out to be a long and arduous ordeal that finally came together when I was able to communicate directly with the agent managing the property.  And I have to admit, that although I was quite skeptical of the repair quote that was given by the fencing company that they chose… the contractor actually did a great job that far surpassed my expectations!

As it turned out… this last summer proved to be a season of unexpected expenses!  A few weeks after the fence went down, my roof developed a leak and recently I found myself in need of a new battery for my car… and when you add a few unseen Vet visits for Fiver… Well… let’s just say that my faith in God’s promise to supply all my needs*got lots and lots of PRACTICE!

With all of the EXCERCISING of my faith this summer, I began to take a look at the scriptures and see how the word PRACTICE was used throughout the New Testament.  And what I learned was that the Biblical usage is pretty consistent with what most of us would think of when we hear or think about that word!

For example… After sharing some specific advice concerning the difficult situations that his protégé Timothy was experiencing in his new role as leader of the early church in Ephesus and Asia Minor, the Apostle Paul encouraged the young man to also stay diligent with his own spiritual growth and well-being.  He summed up his guidance by stating,

“Practice these things (ie; all the scriptural truths that he had previously shared with him throughout the preceding chapters of I Timothy).  Devote your life to them so that everyone can see your progress.” (I Timothy 4:15 - God’s Word ©)

In the same verse, the Remedy translation says to,

“…TRAIN yourself in the PRACTICE of God’s methods, so that everyone may see your continual character development.”

The word most often translated PRACTICE in the New Testament is defined in the Greek as “to perform repeatedly or habitually, to exercise, to give painful attention to (which makes me think of the old saying “No pain No gain!”), to occupy one’s self with, and a condition of body or mind that comes strictly as a result of repeated exercise or practice.”**

After reading this, I got to thinking that Piper and I pretty much took on a Christian lifestyle of PRACTICE in the development and continual growth of our faith-walk that began even before we sealed the deal and said “I DO” on July 12, 1975.  And looking back, I can also see that there were always those individuals along the way, that attempted to interrupt our steps of PRACTICE and thereby hope to stall or stop our forward progress.

I personally felt that their idea of what they perceived to be a failure in life, meant that you STOP, RETREAT back to what you were doing before and GIVE UP HOPE of ever progressing in the area that you were pursuing!  For Piper and I though, there was a period to STOP when something we were actively PRACTICING didn’t quite attain the progress that we desired.  But we would instead, use that time to find out what or where we wet wrong, make the corrections and then move forward with renewed vigor in our PRACTICE, as we let go of the mistakes and implemented the corrected course of action.

Let’s face it… PRACTICE isn’t always a walk in the park!  It can be difficult and painful as you develop new physical or spiritual muscles, new lifestyle habits, or practically apply new faith truths and principles into your daily life.  But the positive results of your repeated and consistent efforts are well worth the temporary pain or inconvenience.

A quick point to note here, is that there can also be a negative side to PRACTICE… if you knowingly or unknowingly repeatedly PRACTICE the wrong things!  For what you PRACTICE will be what you do… when certain situations come into play in your lives. 

I only mention this because I witnessed it first hand when Piper got sick.  When faced with the shock of her deteriorating needs, there were some individuals that reacted in obvious FEAR, ANGER and HOPELESSNESS that was physically detrimental to Piper’s health.  And to be honest… I don’t think that they actually knew what they were doing… because it was an unknowingly normalPRACTICED response in their lives.

So… Let me ask you today… What are the important areas within your lives where you are actively PRACTICING new healthier habits, new faith truths and/or revelations, or the positive ways in which you would like to respond to the daily activities that you face on a regular basis?

Like I said previously, I’m discovering that the regular PRACTICE of my faith has been a lifestyle choice that Piper and I knowingly (or maybe unknowingly… for in some respects we just sort of stepped into it!) made while we were just beginning our journey together as older teenagers in the early 1970’s. 

When DID or WILL the regular PRACTICE of the positive things in your life begin?

Have a great rest of your week.  The weather is definitely changing into cool and crisp fall days around us here in northeastern Oklahoma.  How ‘bouts where you live? 

Nevertheless… however your weather is… just keep EXPCTING God’s BEST and feel free to share it with others!

 

*See Philippians 4:19

**Strong’s, Thayer’s and Mounce Greek-English Dictionaries

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.