Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, November 12, 2022

Uh Oh!

I had to laugh and utter “Uh Oh!” as Fiver and I walked past his young Golden Retriever friend’s house, whose chain-linked fenced backyard faces our neighborhood’s open space walkway and the city golf course beyond.  It would seem that Wallace, the one-year-old pup, took a liking to the cushions of the nice outdoor furniture set on their covered patio.  My reaction was in response to the white cloth stuffing that was strewn all over the yard… and the sheepish way the dog was hiding behind a chair!

Another reason I laughed was from the memories of our last dog before Fiver, who also began to chew things around the house about the time she had turned one year old.  We returned home from a church activity one night to discover a rather large hole chewed into the padded arm of our couch… and another time to a huge rip in the old full-length curtains in the living room!  The good news is that our dog quickly grew out of that stage, and except for liking to run out the front door… was a really good dog and followed Piper all over the house!  I’m also sure that Wallce will outgrow his puppy behaviors as well.

But, the incident with Wallace… that was repeated for a few days following, until the young owners finally figured it out and removed the rest of the furniture cushions off the remainder of the seats… reminded me of how every dog, pretty much like most of us humans, see, experience and learn things in life in varied ways. 

Fiver for instance, has never been a chewer.  From the day we got him from an Aussie rescue center in North Carolina, he has never chewed anything inside nor outside of our home, but only the two Nyla bones I got him when he first came to live with us.  And except for a couple of barfing sessions, he has never soiled the hardwood floor or carpets… neither has he shown any interest in getting into the garbage bag under the kitchen sink… like his predecessor did with a passion… until I installed child-proof cabinet locks!

I was studying a very familiar scripture this week, one that I would consider to be an old and intimate friend of mine, in Philippians 4:13.  The translation in Piper’s 1974 “The Way - Living Bible Illustrated”, which was designed specifically for the younger set in the 1970’s, especially caught my attention as it reads,

“For I can do everything God asks me to do, with (or through) the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power (and also implies, ‘along with the means and ability’) to accomplish it.”

I especially like this paraphrased translation because of the way it states that “I can do everything” and then adds the silent thought “that God asks me to do.”  Most people I know, do not tend to do something without a rhyme or reason behind their actions… and when it comes to standing in faith for a promise in God’s Word, most Christians will admit that they felt some kind of leading, sense or spiritual encouragement to take a leap in faith. 

In reference to our scripture, in some way, shape or form, most Christians will admit that they felt God asking or telling them to go for it as a means of meeting their own needs and/or desires, or as an assignment that He wants them to perform for Him!

This process… and in fact, in most scenarios… does not happen in the same manner for everyone.  God knows each of us better than anyone else!  He knows how to get and keep our attention, He knows and understands our background, the way we think and in fact… He knows exactly what makes each of us tick!  So, the way in which He approaches and talks to me was totally different than the way He spoke to Piper… even though we were very close and, in many ways, thought and acted as one.*

Now there are a few keys to activating this verse.  The Apostle Paul was talking from personal experience when he wrote this portion of Scripture and encouraged us to take it and put it to work in our own lives.  You see, once God asks us to do something for Him, or encourages us to believe His word for something in our lives, we must humble ourselves and come back before Him to ask Him for His help in fulfilling the need. 

Then it gets a little more complicated, for we must let or allow Him help usin His way, and in His perfect timing… and we do so by standing in faith, without wavering and take whatever steps and/or actions that He directs us to take... no matter if it makes sense to you and me (or anyone for that matter) or not.

When King Saul disobeyed the directions of the Lord and thought that he could please the Lord by offering choice sacrifices, the Prophet Samuel told him that,

“Behold! Obeying is better than sacrifice; to give attention is better than the fat of rams.” (I Samuel 15:22 – LITV)

I know for myself, that there have been times in my faith walk, when nothing seemed to be happening… so, I tried to ‘help’ God out with what I thought was a better idea… and well… all that did was mess things up!  We might not always know the long-range reach of God’s plans or directions, but believe me… He knows best because He sees way beyond what our natural eyes and understanding can! 

I’ve been told a time or two in my various stands of faith, that I was naïve, making a big mistake and even one time… that I was ‘stupid!’.  The Hebrew phrase “to obey” means “to hear intelligently, to recognize, discern, envision or understand” the written Word of God and the leadings that He is giving us.  Therefore, in God’s eyes, our obedience to Him and His Word is actually the intelligent thing to do, in contrast to what the natural situation and people only looking at what they see, seem to be telling us.

And I’ll take God’s intelligence anytime over the so-called intellectualism of man… wouldn’t you?

So, what are you going to do the next time you sense the Lord asking you to DO or BELIEVE for something in your life?  Hummm  I think it best to say “Ah Ha!” And OBEY… rather than try it on my own, make a mess and then be forced to say, “Uh Oh!”

Have a great rest of your weekend wherever you may live.  We have a good chance of snow forecasted for Monday here in Oklahoma… Whoopie!  But whatever the weather, I plan to keep on EXPECTING God’s BEST in my life… and you should too!

 

*See, Genesis 2:24-25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.