Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, November 7, 2020

Principals and Practices

While I was doing some research online yesterday afternoon, I came across an advertisement for a little old book that Piper and I had read in the early years of our relationship back in the seventies.  That tiny literary work of barely 100 pages captured our hearts and soon became one of the practicing foundations of our faith life.  The book entitled “Prison to Praise” by Merlin Carothers, was written in 1970, just about the time that Piper and I started dating.  Somewhere along the line it became a popular read in the Christian circles that we hung with and we went to the Christian bookstore downtown and excitedly purchased a copy for ourselves.

If I remember correctly, the book is written from the premise of 1Thessalonians 5:18 where the Apostle Paul wrote, “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” (KJV)  I do recall that the book stirred up a lot of conversations and maybe even a few arguments from those who agreed with the author’s point of view and from those who did not!  Piper and I were among those who did, even though we had a few reservations concerning the way the author understood certain scriptures.

I purchased another copy of the book yesterday and look forward to reading it again in order to refresh my memory of it. (I’m sure that I have the original copy of it snuggled in one of the bazillion boxes of “Piper’s Stuff” piled from floor to ceiling in my guest bedroom… but I’m not sure I can do that alone as of yet!  My girls have promised to help me with that duty!)  I’ve come a long way in my Christian growth, experience and training since I first read that book… so it will be interesting to see what, if any, difference that makes! 

What I do know is that I am still a firm believer in the power of praise and thanksgiving in the midst of any circumstance, because my trust continues to be entrenched in the truth of God and His living Word to help me through any and all situations, be they positive or negative!

I realized while praying in the shower this morning, that it is pretty evident that the Lord is working to reestablish in me, the pivotal principles and practices that were the building blocks of the foundation of Piper’s and my faith life.  It would seem to be important to have His firm foundation under me as I re-enter life.  I have a list of things that I have been praying over that I have felt are important base ingredients to my new life without Piper… as a single, 67-year-old widower (specific steps that I believe the Lord gave me to believe for).  I’ve always considered myself to be a patient man… but sometimes I get frustrated when it seems like the Lord is taking too long in helping me with my requests… I bet NO ONE else has ever felt that way before!

But then, I have quiet moments during the day when the Lord will show me a little something… a hint or maybe even a tease that proves that He is still diligently at work on my behalf.  At times like these, I am reminded of all examples of His working behind the scenes for me throughout my entire life… only to drop the answer in my lap when I least expect it!

So, getting back into “Praise the Lord” mode as my first response to just about everything in life, taking the time to watch, read and participate in many of the ministries that excited, challenged and built Piper’s and my faith over the years, following the ministry call on my life and seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness (see Matthew 6:33) while trusting in the Lord with all my heart and not leaning on my own understanding of anything (See Proverbs 3:5)… all seem to be parts of the puzzle of me in this new day, in this new chapter within this new season of my life… in a new house, in a new city, in a new state!

Ah… piece of cake, right?  I heard a Christian leader that I highly respect, once say that if its not impossible… then God would never ask you to do it!  Well… I’m into the impossible with the One who makes the impossible possible… how about you?

I hope that you’re having a terrific weekend and keeping your focus and faith upon the Master puzzle maker who has His loving hand on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.