Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, November 5, 2020

Celebrating An Event!

 I couldn’t help but to recall an old family tradition this morning that occurred whenever we had a gathering when I was a kid growing up at my parent’s home and then continued on when I became an adult.  You see, coming from a 100% Italian family meant that the extended family or guests coming over for dinner were not just going to enjoy a meal but be part of an event!  The planning, preparation, serving, eating and even the clean up afterwards was all a part of breaking bread together.

At my parent’s home, when you entered the front door, most of us would make an immediate left turn into the kitchen in order to feast our olfactory senses on the delicious fragrances, check out all the wonderful foods being prepared and smile at their large dining room table decked out in fine china, silverware and normally a centerpiece filled with a beautiful bouquet of their home grown flowers.

The memory that I recalled this morning as I sat in my desk chair with a freshly brewed cup of java, was what always occurred after my Mom shooed all the guests out of the kitchen and had them all comfortably seated in the living room.  The coffee table there would be lined with large serving platters arrayed with all kinds of mostly homemade hors d'oeuvres and a stack of small empty plates.  Once everyone was settled, my Dad would come in through the wide opening between the living room and kitchen with a container of mixed drinks (that he had mixed up previous to everyone’s arrival) for the adults and usually a bottle of Sprite soda for the kids and those who chose not to imbibe.

After making sure that everyone’s glass was filled, a sense of anticipation would fill the atmosphere.  Then my Dad would raise his glass and make a toast for the holiday or event being honored or to the guests with whom they were sharing a meal with that evening.  From that point on my Mom took over, by gregariously telling us to fill our plates with a selection from the goodies on the table and then proceed to get everyone feeling comfortable, laughing and enjoying themselves.

When I sat in my chair this morning, I leaned back looking over the myriad of pictures of Piper that I have arranged all over the wall in front of my desk and suddenly found myself lifting my insulated mug with a big smile and making a toast saying, “Here’s to you Piper... my beautiful, fun Piper!”  I sat there kind of frozen in that position with my right arm raised up, while I soaked in all the history that those pictures represented.  The memories on that wall range from her childhood, the teenage years before and after we met, our college days, wedding our family’s beginnings, ministry, homeschooling, vacations and just about everything else in the ensuing 43 years of our marriage.

I think that the two words of “Beautiful” and “Fun” perfectly sum up my feelings of Piper.  And like I said, I couldn’t help but break into a great big smile as I became enraptured by the wonderful memories that each and every picture stirred up in me.

When I finally broke free from that special moment, I found myself smiling again as I opened up my Bible and was quickly snapped back into my current reality when I began to read from Psalm 40:1 in The Passion Translation where the Psalmist begins by writing, “I waited and waited and waited some more, patiently, knowing God would come through for me…”  Have you ever felt like that?  Most of us could probably say that concerning the current debacle with the Presidential election vote counting!

But for me… well, that’s been my story for the last two years since Piper’s homegoing.  I wait patiently while the Word of God assures me that He is working behind the scene preparing many new and wonderful things for me and if I’ve learned anything throughout the years, it would be to not try to get ahead of His plan or to attempt to make it work on my own!  So, as I wait and wait and then wait some more, I find myself focusing my effort and faith on the last part of the next verse where the Psalmist goes on to happily report that, “(and) Now he’s lifted me up into a firm, secure place and steadied me while I walk along his ascending path.” 

But the true pièce de resistance is served in verses four and five when writer excitedly declares from personal experience of how, Blessing after blessing comes to those who love and trust the Lord. They will not fall away, for they refuse to listen to the lies of the proud.  O Lord, our God, no one can compare with you. Such wonderful works and miracles are all found with you! And you think of us all the time with your countless expressions of love—far exceeding our expectations! 

I mean… like all I can say is a resounding “WOW!”  How about you? 

So yeah… While you and I might find ourselves in the position of waiting and waiting and waiting some more… we can both look forward, with great anticipation, expectation and in strong, unmovable faith KNOWING that our God is a great big God (see: Isaiah 40:12) and is currently working behind the scene, preparing the next meal event of our lives that we will soon discover to be a delicious feast that far exceeds our expectations!

Hummmm… I don’t know about you… but my mouth is watering at the thought of that FEAST! (see: Psalm 23:5 and Psalm 91:15)  So, why don’t you join with me in raising a hand (or two) in praise of our God and for His faithfulness to us… His favorite kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.