Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Good Enough For Me...


I realize that I am running the risk of sounding like a broken record here… and for those of you too young to know what that antiquated saying means… it is referring to the olden days when some of us used to listen to popular music on 45 or 33 rpm records!  A broken record usually meant one with a scratch across the vinyl so that the needle would get stuck and continually repeat that section of music.

For my discussion this morning, I meant to talk about something that I’ve been writing about that has been popping into my head almost daily since Piper moved her permanent residence to heaven.  Gee… I wonder if she had to go through all the paperwork of legally changing addresses, checking accounts, updating the various insurance plans, getting a new dog license… Hah!  You know… I may not be a genius, but I kinda doubt it!  For her it was a one stop move and none of that worldly accountability is important anymore.  Besides, she’s got better things to occupy her time now!

So… back to my broken record syndrome.  I realized this morning that I am still waking up every day feeling empty.  Then I immediately begin to wonder about what my PURPOSE in life is!  As I have repeated a lot (ie; the broken record…), for the vast majority of my adult life, Piper was a major PURPOSE in my life.  In fact, for the last eight years she WAS the PURPOSE of my life!  And without her… well, things have changed… my difficulty is that I don’t know what the new game plan is.

So, if you go back over my study notes for the last week or more, you’ll notice that there are a bunch of scripture verses that talk about PURPOSE written down.  Proverbs 16:4 tells us that “GOD made everything with a place and purpose…” (The Message)  Most other translations clarify that statement saying that He “has made everything for his own purpose” (God’s Word ©)

Well, that’s great!  But what is His purpose… for me… right here and now?  The one bit of direction I keep hearing from Him is to continue doing what I’ve done in the past.  Lately the Lord’s been showing me many things about the perks of being and staying committed to Him throughout the thick and thins of life.  Like looking at a videotape of an old home movie, He has been showing me various clips of how Piper and I stayed committed to Him and His Word through our stand of faith over the 12 years of her ordeal even when people, places or things tried their best to get us to throw in the towel.

I saw a memory posted on my Facebook page last night of a blog post that I had written one year ago today.  The post bought back the reality of some of the tough times I had gone through in the final months of Piper’s life.  Of times sitting on the floor in the hallway with my head buried in my hands crying out to God for strength to see it through those physically and emotionally demanding times.  That was actually a good memory because it brought back to me the faithfulness of God in the midst of our weakest times.

And while I may not have a clear understanding of His purpose for me right now, I do have a clear picture of His continued faithfulness to me in the midst of another confusing time in my life.  In John 14:28 Jesus told His disciples in reference to His going away, that “the Father is the goal and purpose of my life. (The Message)  So, if that was good enough for Jesus when He was in the midst of a major transition in His life… I guess that it is good enough for me as well!

What do you think?  Would that be good enough for you?  Have a wonderful rest of the week.  We’ve had some pretty hot weather here the last few days but I’m still enjoying it.  I hope you’re enjoying where you are located, and while you’re at it, say with me… “I am expecting God’s faithful purpose for my life to be good enough for me today!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.