Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, December 17, 2018

Oophs! He's Tapping on my Shoulder

I was thinking yesterday afternoon that Piper and I had been involved in church leadership since the early days of our relationship.  I was also thinking that it seemed like we both had an inkling for the things of God from an early age.  


I can remember being very sensitive to the pageantry of the Catholic church and was always respectful of the nuns and priests that I saw at school and in Sunday services.  I have early memories of sincerely praying to God back in the second grade while attending St Rose Catholic School and erecting a May Altar in my bedroom.*  When I served as an altar boy in my later elementary school years at St Eugene’s Cathedral, it was all business for me!  While some of the other boys would fool around in the sacristy**, I was always at awe and acted in the greatest of reverence.

Piper grew up in an American Baptist Church and was fully involved in all kinds of activities from a young age including the Junior Choir, Girls Guild and various womens circles.  While still in her teens she was good friends with most of the leaders in the church.  I used to joke  that she was one of the “darlings” of the church.  When we started dating, I was always amazed how it seemed that everyone in the church knew and respected her!  (And it was a fairly good-sized church.  The Pastor once told me that they had about 350 families in the church.) 

I know that I’ve mentioned this before but when Piper and I wrote*** and directed a Rock Opera for the church and community in the early ‘70’s, we had assembled a band to accompany the singers.  Piper played the piano and on one song (Amazing Grace) she played the organ.  I’ll never forget standing in the little music pit and hearing some of the members of the congregation whispering to each other, “I didn’t know Piper played the organ too!”

So, a few weeks after our wedding, it seemed quite normal for us to step into another leadership roll as Youth Ministers for her church… and it just seemed to blossom through the years from there, whether it was Praise and Worship Leaders or Assistant Pastors at five different churches.

Therefore, when I read a portion of scripture like I Peter 5:1-4, I can’t help but stop and come to attention.  Here Peter writes:
“I appeal to your spiritual leaders. I make this appeal as a spiritual leader who also witnessed Christ's sufferings and will share in the glory that will be revealed.  Be shepherds over the flock God has entrusted to you. Watch over it as God does: Don't do this because you have to, but because you want to. Don't do it out of greed, but out of a desire to serve.  Don't be rulers over the people entrusted to you, but be examples for the flock to follow.  Then, when the chief shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.”  (God’s Word ©) 

When I read this the other afternoon I sat up on the bed where I was attempting to take a nap, and thought, “He’s talking to me” and felt a tinge of conviction.  Since Piper’s passing, I have tried to be as obedient as possible with reaching out to different people.  Its been easier with some than with others but when I felt Him leading me, I always followed through… sometimes not too excitedly though!  When I re-read these verses, I realized that He was telling me that it is all a part of my “calling” as a minister of the Gospel, the same as when He had me encouraging those ministering to Piper’s needs and to distant family members as well, during the years of her illness.

And He made it clear that it should be undertaken because of my desire to serve Him!  It also doesn’t matter if I get any satisfying results back from those I minister to.  I am doing it because it is the right thing to do and to be a good example to those I minister to, including our kids.

So… it seems that our involvement in the ministry didn’t stop when we left our last church back in California, but continues for life.  I like how The Message paraphrase puts Romans 11:29 reminding us that, “God's gifts and God's call are under full warranty—never canceled, never rescinded.”  I also think that the ministry of encouragement and faith building belongs to every Believer whether they have a specific ministry call on their lives or not… but that’s for another post!

With the prospect of a whole new life set before me since Piper’s homegoing, I feel like the Lord is bringing me back to the basics of my faith in order to prepare me for what’s ahead!  Oh well, I’ve always been up to a good challenge!  How about you?

Have a great new week.  I’ll only have one more post later this week before I fly off to Tulsa to be with three of our four kids for Christmas!  So, I hope you also have a great and joyous time as you prepare to celebrate the birthday of the King, and as you do, think about today’s post and say with me… “I am expecting to be used of God anywhere and anytime He taps me on my shoulder!”



* https://www.catholicfamilyfaith.com/2013/05/may-altar-for-mary.html

** A room in a church where a priest prepares for a service, and where vestments and other things used in worship are kept.  (Oxford Online Dictionary)

***I wrote a couple of the 10 or so songs in the production as well as the plot and script.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.