Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, December 10, 2018

Always AMAZED!


I just came in from tossing the ball to Fiver out back.  It may be 28 degrees with a light combination of rain and ice falling from the skies, but it felt great!  The dog’s normally white legs and feet were covered in brown muck… as were my shoes and pant cuffs as well!  Then when we ran into the house, we both left behind a trail of muddy, wet footprints.  Thank God for hardwood floors.  A quick brushing to my shoes, a towel rub-down for Fiver and a wipe of the floor and everything is back to normal again!  Isn’t life sweet?

Well… for this moment at least.  But I am slowly learning to enjoy life again, one moment at a time.  I was telling a neighbor who came by last night with some extra chicken she had prepared, that the one positive thing about my wife’s passing is that I find that I am much more relaxed than I have been for years.  Putting the emotional stress of her loss aside, I discovered that I am no longer uptight and “on alert” all day and night as when I was taking care her.  I actually enjoyed the snow storm we had yesterday and am looking forward to a little more snow fall later this morning.  We’re doing fine by the way.  We are far enough southeast that we missed the brunt of the storm system.

Those last ten years were pretty intense though.  Between the emotional heart ache at seeing the one you love physically deteriorating before your eyes, the constant medical decisions, her ever-increasing physical care and then the outright attacks of the enemy of our souls as he tried to destroy our faith… whew!  It was an incredible, eye-opening journey!

Since last Christmas, up until three months ago, I started my morning Bible study by writing down that “We are being AMAZED in 2018!” followed by Luke 2:18 from the God’s Word translation where it states that “Everyone who heard the shepherds' story was amazed.”  Since Piper’s homegoing I’ve updated the beginning statement to declare that I am continuing to be AMAZED in 2018!” 

The thought of continuing to be AMAZED caught my fancy yesterday and after penning Luke 2:18 in my notes, I paused for a moment and prayed aloud, “Lord, I don’t ever want to STOP being AMAZED with the story of my life that You are writing!”  Then after a few minutes of Bible study, I somehow came to Habakkuk 1:5 when the Prophet of God spoke to the people saying, “Look among the nations and watch. Be amazed and astonished. I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if it were reported to you.” (God’s Word ©) 

When I saw that verse, I knew that the good Lord was speaking to my broken heart.  Now while I understand that the context of that statement is not written as a positive encouragement since the Prophet was actually chastising the Jews for not obeying the Law and was predicting some rough times ahead… I could see how this verse, if taken from a positive outlook, flows in line with the heart of God to His chosen people, similar to Jeremiah’s words in Jeremiah chapter 33.  And that is exactly how I took its meaning!

Yes, Piper and I went through some horrific times over the last ten years, but though it all, God continued to show Himself to be AMAZING, with the power of His Word and repeatedly answered prayers all enabled by our unshakeable faith!  So, am I REALLY expecting Him to continue to be AMAZING in my life?  You bet!

The question now is… What or How are you expecting God to be in YOUR life?

Have a great new week, and as you do, say with me… “Lord, I am expecting to
NEVER stop being AMAZED with the story of my life that You are writing!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.