Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Making Music


As I mentioned in yesterday’s blog post, I have always enjoyed making music.  During the ninth through twelfth grades I was in a band and while the phone wasn’t exactly ringing off the hook, we did play at numerous school events, at dance schools, private parties and at the local YMCA to name a few gigs!  During that time we covered songs that were the current and past hits played on the top forty radio stations. (Anyone remember KFRC 610 – “Magic 61” - Dr. Don Rose - out of San Francisco?)  In looking back at that time in my life, I can honestly say that in my way of thinking, we were not really “making” music but simply “playing” it.
It wasn’t until after I married my wife that I began to make music.  I can’t really say that Piper and I ever had “our song” that had sentimental meaning to us.  She was never in to secular music and even though we attended many dances together in high school and college and she sang in our band for a short while, her heart was never into it!  I could mention a current hot band and she’d smile with sort of a blank look on her face.
After our wedding we began to focus our musical talents on Christian music and in ministering through it to our church.  At that point the music literally began to flow from me!  Piper and I began to sing many duets for various church events, most times singing original songs that I had written.  That to me is the description of making music… something that comes deep from the conviction of your heart.
Isaiah 12:5 encourages us to “Sing unto the Lord for he hath done excellent things…” (KJV)  While just about every translation I looked at this morning renders this verse in this same manner, my attention was drawn to the God’s Word © Bible that tells us to “Make music to praise the Lord…”  Now that interpretation spoke to my heart!  I found it interesting that the original Greek leans to that line of thought defining it as “with the idea of striking with the fingers, to touch the strings or parts of a musical instrument.” (Strong’s)  The last intent of that word listed in Strong’s stated “To make music accompanied by the voice.”
 

That final definition seemed a little backwards to me at first glance, but then I saw the vital significance of it.  I believe that the Prophet was trying to convey God’s truth of how our actions tend to override our words!  I have come to learn that people’s actions are a lot more important and meaningful than the empty words they speak.  One could almost say that the strongest form of Christian love is to act first and to speak or explain later!  That to me, symbolizes what it takes to “make music to praise the Lord” in our daily lives.
 
In other words, don’t just talk love… DO LOVE!  And do it with a deep conviction from your heart.  I see this almost every day in the folks that my wife and I pass by as we live our lives.  Many of these folks seem to be frightened by the sight of someone in a wheel chair and look aside or go out of their way to avoid making contact with us.  Other’s don’t necessarily know what to do, but they make contact with us anyway and while it is fairly clear that they are not comfortable with the situation they at least take some kind of action to reach out to us.  That is love in action!  Because even if they do or say something that could be considered wrong or inappropriate, their actions of love cover a multitude of mistakes. (I Peter 4:8)
 

The music that these folks are making with their actions sound out loudly, distinctly and is received in perfect pitch and harmony.  Making music from your heart will always bless those you come in contact with.  So make some beautiful music today!  Act first and talk about it later!  Be a blessing going somewhere to happen… and in the process, have a great day.  Stay in harmony and in tune to the Lord and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom or How am I going to make music to praise the Lord today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.