Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, February 7, 2014

Political Correctness...


When we lived in Oklahoma we would see little brown rabbits all over the place.  I’d see them running around in the outside garden department where I worked, scampering over neighborhood lawns and running across the rural roads on the way to work each day.  I have to admit though, I never did see them following a specific trail.  So maybe the old idiom of “following a rabbit trail” is actually a little deceiving!  However, just as there were a multitude of rabbits in Oklahoma, I sure have had the opportunity to go a multitude of ways since I went off on a rabbit trail during my Bible Study time on Wednesday morning!
Today I was drawn right back to Psalm 141:3, but this time I looked at it in the Contemporary English Version which says, “Help me to guard my words whenever I say something.”  This focus on the words that we say got me thinking about the actual words that we do utter when we talk to others… as well as to ourselves.  
After looking up several verses, I somehow ended up in Job chapter 23.  In this portion of scripture Job is talking about having a discussion with God and makes the point to say, “I would present my case to him.  I would have a mouth full of arguments.  I want to know the words he would use to answer me.  I want to understand the things (or words according to the KJV) he would say to me.” (Job 23:4-5 God’s Word ©)
Job’s discussion caused a bell to go off in my mind as I realized that the best way to guard what comes out of your mouth is to simply say what God says!  It’s hard to say something that you’ll regret when you are speaking His words.  Hebrew 10:23 instructs us to “hold fast the confession of the hope unyielding, for he who has promised is faithful.” (Literal Translation of the Holy Bible)  As we have seen in other studies, the phrase “of the hope” in this verse could better be translated “of our expectations”.  Therefore in everyday language the writer of Hebrews is instructing us to hold fast to what we believe and therefore say without wavering.  And what we are to say is what we are expecting to happen according to God’s Word.
Hebrews 11:1 goes along with this admonition by telling us that “Faith assures of what we expect and convinces us of the existence of things we cannot (yet) see.” (God’s Word ©)  James 1:6-8 also informs us that we cannot be thinking about two things at the same time because that would cause us to waiver and not receive what we are expecting.  So once again, I propose that if you’re going to speak anything, make your expectations clear and speak only what God says about the matter!
Now, can you actually do this without looking and sounding like you come from another planet when you’re out in public?  Well, it works for me!  Let me give you an example.  My wife and I have received all kinds of reactions when we go out.  Most people tend to ignore us while others give me the hopeless “I am sorry for you” look on their face.  A few loving and encouraging individuals will be comfortable around us and talk to both of us like we are normal people!  I have found that the best way to make people relax is to tell them exactly what we are believing for.  But, I don’t just start spouting off a bunch of scriptures which may or may not have any meaning to them.
Depending on the situation, I will normally tell them that we are people of faith and serve a mighty God who isn’t done with us.  Most individuals won’t argue with that thought, will be encouraged and will find that they can agree with me on that point.  Then that opens the door for me to share what God says about healing in His Word.
Point in view… Lately we have had to make changes with some of the benefits that my wife has been on for the last three years.  So I have spent quite a bit of time talking to county, state and federal benefits representatives.  A week or so ago I was talking to what began as a not so friendly women at MediCal.  In the midst of the conversation I mentioned that my wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s at only 56 years of age.  She gasped and quietly said “Oh my!” and the line went still.  Without missing a beat, I took up the slack and began to softly share what I stated above and it was like the lady’s whole disposition changed.
As the conversation reverted back to state benefits, it became obvious that she could not adequately answer all the questions I had for her.  When our time came to a conclusion she suddenly paused and said “you know… the best thing you can do is to keep trusting God for your wife’s healing!”  When I hung up the phone I looked over at my wife who was sitting on the couch, broke into a big smile and literally ran over to her while exuberantly telling her what the gal on the phone from the State had told me!  It turned out to not only be a testimony for the Lord, but it encouraged her and me as well!
I don’t disagree with people that we are dealing with a terrible disease, but I always let them know that our faith is in God and as opportunity presents itself, let them know a little bit about what He says about the situation.  This way the emphasis is always put on God and not on me!  Like I said, in my experience, it is difficult for most people to disagree with God!  Remember that Hebrews 10:23 concludes with the fact that “He who has promised is faithful.”   By speaking His word on the subject we are simply agreeing with Him and placing our trust in His loving kindness and faithfulness.
In our society today, being politically correct is deemed to be very important so as to not offend anyone.  I can’t think of a better way of meeting this standard than by agreeing with and quoting the highest reigning official in the universal Kingdom of God when it comes to discussing the situations of life that we face on a daily basis!  From what I’ve personally seen over the last four years, this has proven itself to quickly dispel words of fear, doubt, unbelief and hopelessness, while bringing on an expectation of the good things that God has promised to you and me!
Give it a try this weekend!  It could be a whole new and successful way of life for you!  Have a great weekend (or “new beginning” as my lovely wife would say!), stay or get in tune to God’s Word and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD THINGS am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.