Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Moving Forward...

For some reason, I was thinking the other day about some of the vehicles that we have owned over the years.  In particular I recalled the 1977 Datsun 280Z that we purchased new.  It was the first car that we bought as husband and wife and we were quite excited about it.  It was gorgeous!  Pacific Blue exterior, white leather interior, special wheels, shutters on the hatch, handled like a top and had a TON of power!   It would easily top 100 MPH as my wife and I could each individually attest to!

Looking back now though, I can kick myself for ever letting that car go!  We actually only kept it for a few years and traded it in for a 1979 Ford Bronco.  I guess that we sometimes do impulsive things that we regret later in life!  But as I thought about that car, it dawned on me that you can’t go backwards in this life.  The only direction you can go is forward!
Just like with that car, the same would be true for every phase of our lives.  I have pictures hanging on the walls throughout our home depicting many of the special occasions that my wife and I enjoyed alone and others that were special to us as a family.  Lately I find that is difficult to look at some of those memories without a tear forming in my eyes.  At times it is heart wrenching to look at how my wife was compared to how she is today.  But you know, once again, you can’t go back.  One must move on!
Along with the good remembrances of the past are the more recent memories of the unexpected negative responses and words of a few that were close to us.  But those too are now in the past, and moving on is my only positive alternative!  And the ONE single source that keeps a lively expectation in my heart and a smile (most days!) on my face is the truth of God’s Word!
According to Hebrews 13:8 “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.” (God’s Word ©)  That’s Good News!  The expectation of His total and complete salvation (meaning “safety”, “preservation”, “healing”, and “soundness” – according to Scofield’s Reference Notes) is the ONLY future I see for her!  It is the solid foundation that causes my future, as well as every other Christian’s to be bright!
In describing Ephesians 6:17 where it tells us to “Take… the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” (KJV) Adam Clarke states that “The word of God, or faith in God’s unchangeable word, is the principle armor of the soul.  He in whom the word of God dwells richly, and who has that faith by which he knows that he has redemption (ie; salvation and all its redemptive acts and processes, as per Scofield) even the forgiveness of sins, need not fear the power of the adversary.  He stands fast in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made him free!”
So what will it be for you?  To wallow in self-pity over the passing of the past, or to look with joyful expectancy at what good things the Word of God says are in store for you (now, in the future and then for eternity with Him) as you make your stand on the unchanging, unshakeable, love powered, grace enabled Word of our loving heavenly Father?  Hummmm… another No-Brainer!  Have a terrific Thursday.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD THINGS am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.