Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Past, Present and Future

I wrote yesterday about the unchangeableness of God and His Word.  I mentioned how even though the situations and circumstances of our lives may change or shift like the shadows of the sun, that He is always the same, with the same answers and the same power to initiate those answers.  The one thing that I would need to add is my belief that even though He can do the same in our current situation as He did for us in the past, we cannot experience His sameness solely on our memories of the past.

I keep thinking back to a statement made in Duewel’s book that I am reading “Ablaze For God” where he notates that “we cannot minister (or live) today in yesterday’s power.  We cannot accomplish God’s full purpose on memories of past blessings and empowering.  God does not want us to live in the past, but in a moment-by-moment present appropriation of His power.” (Ablaze For God ©1989 by Wesley L. Duewel, Francis Asbury Press, page 84)
I Timothy 4:8 tells us that “Godly living has the promise of life (zoe- absolute fullness of life) now and in the world to come.” (God’s Word ©)  This verse insinuates an active, current and ever-learning and maturing Godly lifestyle.  It goes right along with Paul’s instruction to Timothy in I Timothy 2:2 where he gives “How-To” advice on living a “quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.” (God’s Word ©)  As we physically, mentally and emotionally grow in our natural lives, our spiritual life must follow suit (or rather lead the natural process!)
I am closely familiar with many individuals who seem to be stuck in the past.  For many it is a very comfortable place to be.  They’ve already lived it and it is a safe memory and environment to stay in.  But it becomes increasingly more difficult to face the present and the future through the eyes of the past.  It is almost like losing a grip or touch on the reality of the present.  The hard truth is that we live in a world that is constantly changing and not always for the best!  But we have to continue to grow in our faith and understanding of God’s Word in order to successfully handle the experiences of each new day.
Our faith has to be fresh, current in our hearts and exciting to our minds in order to believe for and see His power at work for us today!  This is an ongoing battle that I have had to face with my wife’s current situation.  It is way too easy to keep looking at who she used to be instead of looking through the eyes of faith at who she is today and how much better she’ll be in the future!  If I allow myself to wallow in past memories, I will get stuck and not be able to see God’s plan for her future and mine! 
Now, it is not like I don’t remember the past.  I have pictures of my lovely wife all over the house that depict events from our past that remind me of God’s faithfulness in the history of our relationship as well as serving as a foundation for my faith for her future.  But I also have a current responsibility to her as well as to myself to not stay there, but to move ahead and to keep my eyes on what my heavenly Father is doing now and His plan for our future.  I don’t want to miss what He is expecting of me in the now!
Have you ever considered how your perspective of your past is affecting the steps you are taking today?  Is your past a foundation for your present and future?  When I look back at our past, like I did during my study time this morning, I see without a doubt that God isn’t done with my wife and I yet, and that He has more big plans for us.  I bet that I could say the same thing about you!  What do you think?
Have a good day!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting TODAY?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.