Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Stop, Look and Listen

I received a text from our older daughter in North Carolina this morning.  She had attached some pictures that she had taken of her recently planted patio vegetable garden.  Needless to say, she was quite proud of her young tomatoes and herbs.  She had a few questions on the health and care of the plants to which I quickly responded.  As I was completing my email reply, I suddenly thought of the difference in climates between North Carolina and northern California, and recalled my learning experience when working in the garden department at the north Tulsa Home Depot in Oklahoma. 

When I first walked out into the nursery area of that store back in the late summer of 2006, I considered myself a fairly knowledgeable gardener.  I was originally hired on the background of my experience from my lawn and garden care business when I applied in California back in March of that same year.  Therefore I felt assured that I could immediately handle most of the customer’s questions and needs when I transferred to the Oklahoma store.  I quickly learned the folly of that line of thinking though!
What I had failed to consider was the vast difference of the seasonal weather conditions between my hometown and that of Oklahoma.  It took some time to adjust my thinking and subsequent advice as I learned from books, videos, plant labels and most of all, from the customer’s themselves about how the various varieties of plants and trees grew in the mid-west.
I concluded my email to my daughter this morning with that thought and suggested that she talk to her neighbors, co-workers and local garden supply employees for specifics when it comes to fertilizers, sprays and over-all gardening tips that are unique for that area’s environment.
After I hit the “send” button on the email, I plopped back in my chair at the kitchen table and thought that I could give that same advice to all of us when it comes to loving others around us.  Colossians 3:16 encourages us to “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.” (KJV) 
As we talked in yesterday’s post, we know that Jesus and His Word is the answer to all of our questions.   And while we understand that His Word is true and never changes, it is not always received or comprehended by all people in the same manner.  People’s life experiences can be considered as being similar to the difference in weather patterns between the various locales in this world and must be taken into consideration when ministering to them.  There are basic truths in the gardening process that are universal wherever you live, but they are not always approached in the same manner or timing in every climate.  The same can be said about ministering the Gospel to others in need.
As I have stated many times in this blog, that situation has caused me some of the greatest frustrations in the midst of working through my wife’s health conditions.  While most people have been quite helpful there have been some who have repeatedly tried to assist us without understanding us, the focus of our faith, or our family experiences.  And even though they were trying to help us, the effects of their words and actions had the opposite reaction causing more frustration and harm than help!
So what do you do then?  First and foremost, pray and then take the time to get to know those to whom you hope to minister to!  Just like the common railroad warning sign that tells us when approaching a track to “Stop, Look and Listen” before crossing the rails.  Once you have a clear idea of what’s going on, then you might just have the opportunity to help make a difference in another person’s life.
I actually made many new friends and had multiple reoccurring customers that asked for me when they came shopping again because I took the time to listen to them and their thoughts on the questions I asked of them.  Once you take the time to get to know someone, they will feel a lot more comfortable allowing you to have input into their lives!  Have a super day!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.