Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, September 2, 2011

On Vacation!

Happy Labor Day weekend everyone!  I wanted to let you all know that I am going to be taking a couple of weeks off from writing this blog.  My wife and I will be going to Oklahoma for our youngest daughter’s wedding next week.  I’ll be refreshed, recomposed (after walking my baby down the aisle!) and ready to resume the blog by the 19th of September.  But before I go, I wanted to share a few thoughts on taking a vacation…

We’ve been talking about the sights, sounds and smells of Jesus for the last few days.  As I was re-reading the eight chapter of the Biblical book of Romans this morning, it dawned on me that the one connection that I had with this world system has been removed.  Romans 8:2 states that “The standards of the Spirit, who gives life through Christ Jesus, have SET YOU FREE from the standards of sin and death.”  (Gods Word ©)  Therefore I owe no allegiance to the normally expected ways of responding to the daily occurrences of life.  My obligation now, is to respond according to the dictates of Jesus’ example as described throughout the New Testament.

Yesterday I listed some of the things that Jesus left in His wake as He went through a town in Israel during His earth walk.  What kind of things were they?  They were blessings to the people He touched.  Everywhere that Jesus went He imparted life.  Think about that for a moment.  It didn’t matter where He was or what He personally felt like.  He still reached out and blessed those around Him.  Even on the bloody cross He reached out and brought life to the prisoner hanging next to Him and then made sure that His mother’s needs would be met after He was gone.

That’s what it is all about!  Most times it is just the little things that will bless those whose lives you touch.  Many times you won’t even know that you encouraged someone.  One night many years ago, when my wife to be and I were away at college, we went out to a local fast food restaurant to get a quick (and cheap!) bite to eat.  As has always been our custom, we held hands, bowed our heads and thanked God for the food.  A few weeks later we attended a meeting of a Christian group on campus.  During the opening remarks the leader asked if anyone had a testimony that they wanted to share.  One young man stood up and related how he had been downcast at work a couple of weeks earlier, when he looked up from behind the counter and spotted a couple praying over their food right in front of everyone at the restaurant.  He stated that their boldness and commitment totally turned around his attitude, encouraged him and helped him to be a blessing to the others he worked with that night.  As you probably figured out, that couple was my finance and me.

Like I said, most times it is just the normal things that we do as born again Christians that will leave a blessing in our wakes as we walk through our lives each day!  Now, what does all this have to do with taking a vacation?  It’s really quite simple.  This holiday weekend is the perfect time to take a vacation from the expected standards of this world!  Choose to leave behind the frustrations, anger and the desires to get back at those who may have hurt you and make the quality decision to impart life wherever you may go, no matter what the circumstances may present!  Be that cool breeze of fresh air that blows into a hot situation and allow the love of God to ooze from you as your presence brings peace, joy and encouragement to a hurting world.

Have a GREAT holiday weekend and we’ll see you in a couple of weeks.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What GREAT things am I expecting to be for others today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.