Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, February 11, 2023

The Greatest Love Story Ever Written

I was watching a Christian news network* yesterday afternoon and they were showing and talking about a set of Christian evangelical commercials that will be run during the Super Bowl.  The commercials spotlight some well-known professional athletes as well as some popular actors.  One of the points that immediately caught my attention, was a statement made by one of these individuals on the commercial who talked about how opposing sides have taken “the greatest love story ever written” and completely misrepresented it as a far-right, conservative message of HATE speech.

The description of the Gospel message as “the greatest love story ever written” immediately triggered the deep warmth, peace and joy that I always experience every time I read my Bible, hear a sermon or share the Good News of Jesus Christ with others.  To think of HIS message as HATE speech makes me want to laugh, cry and fall on my knees in prayer… all at the same time!

But I also realize that anti-Christian comments such as these are often initiated through a lack of knowledge and are then driven and enhanced by FEAR… As a Christian, I also have the answer for them.  I have a continually growing, personal and intimate knowledge of the truth that will help to set these individuals free and introduce them to that same warmth, peace and joy that I have.  It’s called the LOVE of God!

I John 4:18-19 tells us that,

“No fear exists where His love is. Rather, perfect love gets rid of fear, because fear involves punishment. The person who lives in fear doesn't have perfect love.  We love because God loved us first.” (God’s Word ©) 

In my own experience, when Piper got sick and some less than flattering things were said (ie; made up) about me, my character and the decisions concerning her health care that I was making at the time, I began to realize that these individuals seemed to be more focused on their own feelings and their own needs than they were about the very obvious needs of my ailing wife.

And then this morning, as I read I John 4:18 from the new Remedy translation, I suddenly sat back in my desk chair and uttered a loud “Ah Ha!” as this modern version verified what I felt the Lord had showed me a few years back.  It further defines the interactions between FEAR and LOVE saying,

“In love, there is no fear. Fear is part of the infection of selfishness, but is purged by love, as fear has to do with concern for oneself. The one who remains self-focused and afraid has not been healed by God’s love.” 

So for usthe solution to their need (and really to the cry of their heart) is simple!  We need to help them to turn their eyes from off of themselves and onto the LOVE of God that we demonstrate through our words and corresponding actions of His LOVE!  Once people come to KNOW Him, they can’t help but to LOVE Him!

Therefore… Don’t get MAD at those who make unsubstantiated and hurtful comments about the Gospel message… Get GLAD with them by walking and talking in His LOVE!

Remember Psalm 23:4 informs us that “The comfort (or CHEER-BRINGING) of Your LOVE (O Lord) takes away my fear.” (The Passion Translation)

You see… the Gospel message of God’s LOVE is a HAPPY/CHEERFUL message… and it is just what they need and desire!

Have a fantastic weekend!  Go “___________________” (whatever team you’re rooting for in the Super Bowl)… and as you do… keep EXPECTING God’s BEST while you share His CHEERFUL LOVE with everyone you see!

 

*Victory News (https://victorynews.govictory.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.