Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, February 23, 2023

A Sunny Oklahoma Day!

I’ve probably mentioned before, of how I enjoy studying the Bible from various translations.  Between my physical books and digital copies, I own well over 50 different translations and counting!  I read a lot of Christian teaching books and whenever I find an interesting quote from a Bible version that I haven’t heard of before, I usually stop and look it up… and if it catches my fancy… for a variety of reasons, I’ll look and see if I can download it for free through my Bible Study program or check online to find an inexpensive used physical copy of it.

I find that many of the modern versions will employ an overall theme throughout the translation.  For instance, the introduction of “The Passion Translation,” describes the translator’s purpose as to “reintroduce the passion and fire of the Bible to the English reader.”*  My newest addition, “The Remedy” paraphrase of the New Testament, translates the Word through the eye of the love of God that was demonstrated through the life of Jesus, and purposed as God’s “Remedy” for the sin that came into the world and upset His original purpose and plans for mankind.

When describing the benefits of those of us who follow, what the King James Version terms as “the perfect law of liberty,” the Remedy paraphrase goes into greater detail and states in James 1:25 that,

“Those who examine themselves honestly in the light of God’s law of LOVE—the law that heals and frees from fear and selfishness—and continue to do this daily, not ignoring what is learned but applying it diligently, experience happiness as they are healed and transformed.” 

Due in part to my own personal experience, the imagery in this translation brings a much greater depth of meaning to the lesson of LOVE being taught.  Many points come to heart as I look at this, but the initial revelation is the confirmation of the overwhelming strength of God’s love over the enemy of our faith’s greatest tools of fear and selfishness.

Through many of the painful events during Piper’s sickness, I learned that God’s love is the only mechanism that can free us from the clutches of fear and selfishness and then, heal us from its destructive scars and tendencies.  I saw how fear and selfishness work to keep one focused on themselves, while the God kind of love working in us, for us and through us, keeps us focused on Him and the current and long-term FUTURE that He promises us in His Word.

Which once again describes the workings of our faith in our lives.. and how,

FAITH in His Word IS NOW --- BECAUSE --- it gives us the promise of a bright and fruitful FUTURE!

When one sets their focus on themselves and their own resources, they quickly see their limitations and the finite measure of their supply.  Then they become susceptible to weakness and depression.  But for the one who chooses to set and keep their focus on the limitless resources of God… well… hope prevails and their FUTURE shines as bright as the noon day sun in the deep blue sky of a mid-summer Oklahoma day!

So yeah… I do enjoy studying the scriptures from a wide variety of Bible translations in my personal library, with copyrights dating from 1611 to 2018.  But what I enjoy even more, is the consistent revelations of God’s truth that I receive through them - from Him on a daily basis!

And… I cherish and live by the TRUTH that my active, NOW faith in Him and His Word gives to me concerning the promise of a bright and warm FUTURE

HOW ABOUT YOU?

Have a fantastic rest of your week… and as you do… Keep EXPECTING God’s BEST and share the brightness of the FUTURE that only He can give… with the others around you!

 

*About The Passion Translation, The Passion Bible Introduction page.  Copyright © 2018 Passion and Fire Ministries, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.