Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, January 7, 2021

What am I Passionate About?

For some reason, I found myself thinking a lot about PASSION during my Bible Study time earlier this morning.  Maybe it was the verse from Ephesians 3:9 that I was reading in The Passion Translation that triggered my thought pattern.  In this verse the Apostle Paul wrote that, “My passion is to enlighten every person to this divine mystery (the Gospel of Christ). It was hidden for ages past until now, and kept a secret in the heart of God, the Creator of all.” 

My immediate response after absorbing his statement was, as you might imagine, “What am I PASSIONATE about?”  Had this been a little over two years ago, I would have spontaneously replied… without any discussion… Piper!  And in many respects that would still be my first response today.  Although my thought process is slowly but surely shifting the thinking of my PASSION for her to be in terms of the past, recalling the poignant memories that I will always have of our 48 years together and not in respect to future dreams and plans… at least not in this age, on this earth!

So, what else am I PASSIONATE about?  Well, I would have to agree with Paul, that throughout the majority of my adult life, I have also had a growing PASSION for the Word of God.  As I pondered that thought this morning, I realized that I thoroughly enjoy reading the Word, teaching the Word, writing songs and singing about the Word, and then writing about the Word in different formats and for varying purposes.

And all that started while in high school and college as Piper’s and my relationship blossomed.  After our wedding we immediately jumped into Youth ministry and I found that I enjoyed writing Youth Lessons, skits and retreat programs and then moved on to years of writing Children’s Church lessons and curriculum, songs, plays and a whole bunch of Puppet Skits!  And in-between and throughout all of the years, there were the opportunities I had to preach in the adult services on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights, at Convalescent Hospitals, as well as in a public park a time or two!

I think the greatest and most important honor I have ever had though, was to be able to be 24/7 care-giver and full-time Pastor to my wife when we could no longer be involved in a church both in California and North Carolina.  Then for the last ten years, I’ve been writing this blog… and who knows what the future holds… Well, actually I have a few projects in the works… but they are not ready for public knowledge yet!

Dictionary.com defines PASSION as, “a powerful or compelling emotion or feeling; a strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm or desire for anything.”  Speaking from personal experience, I would say that a person’s PASSION for something or someone is the almost uncontrollable force or power that causes them to go far and beyond what others might consider to be the norm in the successful accomplishment of their plans, goals and dreams concerning that said PASSION.

I remember that it would always startle and confuse me when people would question all the things I was doing for Piper in her time of need, be happy about being at her side 24/7, and give my best effort to keep our life as normal as possible for her.  For me there was NEVER a question about what I did.  I was PASSIONATE about my wife and had been since the day we started dating.  In my eyes… everything I did was just a normal part of my responsibilities as her husband… I always figured that every husband would do the same… but sadly, came to find out that I was mistaken!

In my way of thinking… when you are PASSIONATE about something, there is no-one nor no-thing that can stop you from doing your best in whatever you need to do!  That is also how it is for me with my trust in, dependence on and study of the Word of God.

It is also interesting to me, that one of the biggest lessons I learned while Piper and I journeyed along her final trail on this earth, was that Jesus is also very PASSIONATE about His Word as well as being PASSIONATE about His love for you and me!  The portion of scripture in Hebrews 4:14 where the writer tells us that “God's word is living and active” (God's Word ©) has taken on a whole new and deeper meaning to me since I began to personally understand and experience the living, active and powerful interactions of God with me whenever I open up my Bible!  It is no longer just a book of good words or positive thoughts to me… but it is HIM in personal dialogue with me! (see: John 1:1)

So, as we move on into this new year with all kinds of crazy things seemingly happening all around us… let me ask of you?  “What are you PASSIONATE about in your life?”  What thing or things are you so deeply entrenched in so that no-thing nor no-body can shake the foundations of your life.  I’ve learned that it sometimes takes a reordering of the things that are important to you in order to get one's priorities right.  But whatever it takes… let me suggest that we do it sooner than later as things seem to be more unreal every time I look at the news!

Have a great ending to your first full week in 2021, keep your eyes and your trust on HIM… and you’ll be sure to make the right choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.