Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, January 9, 2021

Blessings and Steaming Dog's...

When I awoke this morning (as has become a habit of mine for many years now), I immediately began to think and audibly confess that “This is the day that the LORD has made and I choose to rejoice and be glad in it!”  (Psalm 118:24 ISV – personalized) 

Two hours later, as the dog and I stepped out the front door into the frigid, 25-degree morning, I couldn’t help but stop, breathe in the clean fresh air and enjoy the beauty of the quiet, still view that just seemed to mesmerize me as it unfolded before my eyes.  The grass still had a layer of frost icing its blades and the golf course was as of yet empty of any early morning players.

While we walked along the perimeter of the course toward the neighborhood park and pond, I couldn’t help but stop and think about how blessed I was to live in this particular neighborhood, in this particular city, within this particular state.  I was tickled pink to read that my new home town of Broken Arrow was recently named as the 11th safest city in the country by the website “MoneyGeek.com.”

Sure, the weather can get crazy at times as compared to my old home in California… but you know?  I’m kind of learning to enjoy it!  The last week or so has been pretty chilly with strong winds blowing from the north.  As Fiver and I were walking home (into the wind) yesterday afternoon, it literally felt like my face was going to freeze!  But I still had to smile as I found myself pleasantly pleased over it.

I mean things are good!  During our top-of-the-morning jaunt just a little while ago now, I found myself once again, counting my blessings.  After a ten-year battle of the bulge, I am FINALLY back to the weight that I was at when I quit my management position at Home Depot in order to take care of my wife… and it feels good to be able to buy smaller sized clothes that actually fit me right!

Through the technical wizardry of ZOOM, I got to participate last night in a cross country, video Babybook Baby Shower for the newest member of our family, Jeremy and Aubrey’s daughter Harper Quill.  Our older son and his lovely wife planned and organized the event and we had an audience from three different states including Tennessee, California, and two cities in Oklahoma. 

But I do have to admit, that even though I thoroughly enjoyed seeing everybody again and the fun family banter and memory sharing, I am still having a bit of difficulty adjusting to the idea of attending Baby Showers!  I’m sure that most guys would understand what I am saying here.  Baby Showers were always Piper’s department!  She would attend and then fill me in on all the details when she returned home.  This being both Grandpa and Grandma isn’t as easy as it seems… at least to me!

Do you ever take the time to just stop in the midst of your busy day and take account of all the blessings around you?  Ephesians 1:3 tells us that “Through Christ, God has blessed us with every spiritual blessing that heaven has to offer.” (God’s Word ©) 

Sure, there are crazy things happening all around us, but according to this verse, we ALSO have all the blessing that heaven has to offer at our disposal!  And as far as I am concerned, I aim to focus each day on those blessing and not on the worry and fear that the world continuously dishes out!

Psalm 91:15 strengthens this conviction by sharing another promise of the Lord when He said, “I will answer your cry for help every time you pray, and you will find and feel my presence even in your time of pressure and trouble. I will be your glorious hero and give you a feast.” (The Passion Translation)

That’s the meal I choose to fill my dinner plate with… HOW ABOUT YOU?

So, I would encourage you today to stop and smell the roses!  Take a moment or two to think about and then thank the Lord for all the blessings in your life, after all, there is always someone who has it worse (probably much worse) than any difficulties that you and I might be facing in our lives today.

STOP and CHOOSE to REJOICE and BE GLAD similarly as I did first thing this morning, before I even set my feet on the ground, looked out the window or took a peek at the morning news!

The choice to be happy and thankful for the blessings in our lives is up to us!  As a kid growing up, whenever I felt down, my Mom would tell me to go out and get some exercise… and you know, I still follow that advice today.  After this morning’s cold, crisp walk amongst the frozen dew and laughing at the steam that came from the neighborhood dog’s mouth as he barked at Fiver, I can’t help but REJOICE and BE THANKFUL for the BLESSINGS of the Lord upon my life… and then let that Joy and Thankfulness liberally splash unto to others!

How about YOU?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.