Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, January 25, 2021

It's OKAY...

Okay… So, I’m not sure if it was from a lack of sleep or what… but I just finished a nice breakfast of maple brown sugar oatmeal, a couple strips of turkey bacon and an orange, got up from the table, walked to the sink to rinse my bowl when SPLASH…  water sprayed all over the front of my shirt!  You see, I flipped the lever up on the faucet and at the same time reached for the spray nozzle… and didn’t realize that it was pointed at me and not to the bowl in the sink… until I squeezed the handle! YIKES… that was cold!

What can I say?  It’s Monday morning!  But I also had an interesting beginning to the day.  After being cloudy all day yesterday, it began to rain in earnest around seven in the evening.  When I checked the weather app before turning the light out, later in the evening, there was a slight chance of thunderstorms forecast for around three or four the next morning.

Well… the chance turned into the real deal and I was awakened a little before four with some LOUD booms of thunder and BRIGHT flashes of lightning.  After few seconds of listening, I turned over to go back to sleep and suddenly thought about the dog.  So, I slid out from under the covers and looked at the foot of the bed… and sure enough, there was the big guy, shaking on the floor with eyes as big as saucers! 

I knelt down next to him and began to comfort him while I gently petted his back.  After a while, things quieted down and I got back up to check the weather radar to see what else we might have in store.  And sure enough, it looked like we had about a fifteen-minute break and then there was another strong front coming right back at us!  Fiver had calmed down, so I threw on a coat and shoes and took him out back to do his thing while we had a pause in the rain.

Once we got back inside, we heard the rumblings of thunder and Fiver’s shakes resumed.  Since it looked like we had another LOUD stretch coming, I gave him a dosage of Sileo to help him stay calm and after awhile went back to bed. 

Well, it was kind of interesting in that the next big wave never came!  But, about an hour later Fiver woke me up looking quite fidgety… and it was an action I understood, so I got up once more, and took him outback where he met his need and looked quite content upon our return inside!  Then he jumped on the bed and was out like a light until 7:30 (an hour later) when I got up for the day!

So… needless to say, I was a wee-bit tired and foggy when I got up!  But prior to breakfast I had spent an hour in fellowship with the Lord, taken a shower and gone with the pooch out for a brisk walk to the neighborhood park and pond where the water level was noticeably higher and spilling rapidly through the culvert into the overflow creek.  In other words, I should have been more awake when I went to rinse the bowl!  Oh well… these things happen!  It was actually a little funny, so I took a picture before I changed the shirt!

Afterwards, while I pulled off the wet top, I thought about all the times when unexpected, emergency situations arose while I was caring for Piper from 2010 through 2018 and… like last night… when unexpected things happened with the dog!  Most times my immediate approach was to softly tell them that everything was OKAY… which in effect was telling them to not be afraid.  I can assure you, that there were plenty of opportunities for me to stay calm, gentle and reassuring with my response during those times of attending to other’s needs. 

But you know… I’ve had a good example to follow!  I did a word search on the phrase “Don’t be afraid” in the God’s Word © Translation of the Bible and noted that it is used 353 times!   I guess that I’m not the only one comforting others with that all important encouragement!  I would imagine that it is a response to the situations that we all face on a daily basis in our lives, that is of utmost importance to our heavenly father!

It was one of the first statements that God made to mankind as He introduced the Gospel message to the saints at the coming birth of the Christ Child, and concerning His triumphant return as described in the book of Revelation!  I’ve had first-hand experience with the effects that yielding to fear can have on good people... and it ain't pretty!  I guess that it is no coincidence that one of the very first scriptures I memorized as a young Christian so many years ago, was Paul’s advice to his young Pastor protégé Timothy when he encouraged the young man that “God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (2  Timothy 1:7 KJV) 

I’ve also thought it interesting that in the King James Version, it is called THE spirit of fear and not just a spirit of fear.  That to me, puts a higher significance on the destructive nature and power that this particular spirit can have on mankind.  If you don’t believe me, just turn on the news to see what’s happening in Washington DC!

I’ve heard it taught that the opposite of FEAR is FAITH.  But I would have to disagree and say that the opposite of FEAR is actually one step before FAITH, and that being LOVE, because FAITH worketh by LOVE*” (Galatians 5:6 KJV).  I believe that my well-practiced ability to comfort my loved ones in times of need, comes because I’ve learned that for me, the key to life is that “by constantly using your faith, the life of Christ will be released deep inside you, and the resting place of his love will become the very source and root of your life.” (Ephesians 3:17 The Passion Translation) 

I’ve found that it is easier for me to bring (or keep) others in a peaceful, restful place... when I am already there!  What do you think about that? 

If that is not necessarily easy for you… then I might suggest that you commit to confessing the two prayers of the Apostle Paul in Ephesians 1:15-23 and Ephesians 3:14-21 every day.  Personalized the prayers by changing the you” to “me and then make them an audible confession of your faith in Him! 

Do that for a few weeks and you can’t help but begin to see some changes in the way you feel and think… and respond to the events in your life!  Have a great week, and keep expecting God’s best for you!

 

*In particular… knowing how intimately and personally Jesus loves you!  (See; Ephesians 3:19)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.