Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, November 19, 2020

Reckoning Prayer

I got a phone call early this morning from my good friend who has been in the hospital for quite a few weeks.  He called to report that he finally gets to go home!  So, when our conversation was completed, I slapped my hand on my knee while I turned to the dog on the floor behind me and loudly proclaimed with lots of emotion and a huge smile that “PRAISE THE LORD, GOD CONTINUES TO ANSWER PRAYER!”

My friend who is a few years older than me has had difficulties with his health for some time.  He lived kind of a rough life as a member of a motorcycle gang before getting saved in the 1980’s.  Piper and I met John in the late ‘80’s when he walked into our church wearing leather pants, a leather vest and a leather hat... with his Harley in the parking lot!  But even with his rough exterior and ways, Piper and I immediately took a liking to him and over the years have continued to be close friends.  We had the pleasure of taking the pictures at his wedding and even though we have not attended the same church for many years, have stayed in close contact, even with all the cross country moves we’ve made!

When Piper first got sick and couldn’t be left alone, John’s wife would come over on a regular basis while I ran errands, went shopping and took care of any business away from the home until we were able to get Piper’s first wheelchair.  John’s church also covered the cost of a homecare worker to stay with Piper while I went to a men’s Bible Study group with him on Wednesday nights.  So, with him in the hospital in California, I wanted to be available by phone for him, so that even though he couldn’t have physical visitors, he could still visit with me… from Oklahoma!  We’ve been talking on a daily basis, praying for his recovery and expecting a miraculous move of God on his behalf.

John is a member of multiple prayer groups and would often times call me in the past to tell me the good news of an answered financial prayer, of a friend who was healed and/or request my prayer assistance in the especially difficult cases.  Over the last few years, it has seemed that the Lord has opened different doors for me to pray for people.  When Piper was on hospice, I would many times find myself listening to the needs of the various nurses’ aides and praying for them when they would come over to care for Piper.  I always thought that it was kind of cool how the Lord would use Piper and I even when we were the one’s needing others help!

Over the last month or so I have had friends, former neighbors and relatives ask me to pray for various situations that were adversely affecting them or someone close to them.  And the Lord has quickened me to take the responsibility very seriously, so… I have been quick to pray and consistent with my follow-up!  Therefore, when John called with his good report this morning, I was more than a little elated!

My first thought after my exclamation of praise today, was a confirmation of a scripture truth found in James 5:16 where the leader of the church in Jerusalem proclaimed that, “…The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man (or woman) availeth much.” (KJV)  And my second thought was that Piper’s prayers were definitely effective and availed the power of God to enter into whomever or whatever she was praying for.  She wasn’t what I would think of as a prayer warrior who prayed for long periods of time, but when a need arose and she prayed… well, you knew that she meant business.  

She would pray a scripture that supported her case before the Lord and if necessary, storm the gates of hell with her anointed request… or maybe better said… her demand that the enemy of our faith release his hold on the situation so that God could come in and meet the need!  And let me tell you, through the years, I repeatedly saw situations change in our lives, people healed when everyone around her was in doubt and hearts changed in family members with whom the rest of the family had given up on!

Piper was always a confident woman with just about everything she did… and especially when it came to her personal view of HOW BIG GOD WAS!  The Passion Translation of James 5:16 states that tremendous power is released through the passionate, heartfelt prayer of a godly believer!”  The Message Bible says that “The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.” 

I would whole heartedly admit that my personal passion for prayer and its reckoning power took on a whole new and greater meaning to me when I got that first negative report from Piper’s initial MRI in 2007.  My immediate prayer following that phone call projected me onto a higher and stronger level in my faith for the power of prayer than I had ever had before… and it has just continued to grow from there!  It is something that never grows old nor ceases to amaze me!  So, when John called with his good report this morning, I couldn’t help but rejoice like a little kid with him and then stand in praise, thanksgiving and AWE that GOD DID IT AGAIN! 

So… I guess my point with this discussion today would be to NEVER dismiss or downplay the ability and power of your heartfelt and passionate prayer to the Lord for whatever need you may have.  Prayer to Piper and I was never seen as a last resortbut as the very FIRST and most POWERFUL move that we could make no matter what the need may have been… In fact, we discovered as will you too, that the more impossible the need… the more ALL your dependence HAS to be on the Lord!

Maybe I’m a little strange… But prayer opportunities excite me… and answered prayers REALLY excite me!   HOW ABOUT YOU?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.