Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, November 14, 2020

I'm NOT Crazy... am I?

Have you ever been told that you were crazyand not as a comment of jest?  I have!  And just about everyone of those times was in reference to a stand of faith that Piper and I felt led to take throughout our 48 years together.  As I’ve written about in past blog posts, the worst of these comments came once we locked on to the course of action that we decided was best for Piper’s worsening condition and began to step out in faith, trusting that the hand of the Lord was guiding us along the way.

In the beginning I found that I had to constantly repeat myself and/or re-explain what we were doing and why.  After a few very frustrating years, I felt the Lord directing me to limit the amount of information that I shared with certain individuals… and in doing so, to keep the information as positive as possible.

I had one of those “A-Ha!” moments the other day when I was running a word search on my Bible study computer program and discovered that Paul knew exactly what I had been going through… having experienced the same thing!  I heard a Christian evangelist that I greatly respect say the other day, that the devil always uses the same tricks… but just changes the wrapping paper!

In Acts 26 we find the account of Paul making his defense before King Agrippa and Festus the Governor of Judea.  By the time we get to verse 24, Festus has had enough and “interrupted Paul’s defense, blurting out, ‘You’re out of your mind! All this great learning of yours is driving you crazy.’”  But Paul doesn’t take the bait from Festus, stays in control and gently “replied, “No, Your Excellency Festus, I am not crazy. I speak the words of truth and reason.” (The Passion Translation) 

I had to stop and wipe the spittle from off my computer screen after I read Paul’s comment because I laughed so hard that I sprayed the screen!  My emotions were so pronounced because I had found myself in that very same position over and over again!  But a couple of things caught my attention.

First was Paul’s calm demeanor in the midst of Festus’ anger and his reply (in my thinking) that “No, I’m not the one that’s crazy here, for I’m speaking the words of TRUTH and REASON!”  In Paul’s mind, his testimony of the miraculous events of Christ WAS the truth and made “perfect sense” as the Easy to Read version puts it.  Paul was at the place in his life where he fully believed that the Word of God was the only thing that really mattered… it was the only TRUTH in the midst of everything happening around him.  Piper and I had come to a similar place by the time we returned to California in order to face the battle that was ahead of us… and when people inferred that I was naïve, stupid or crazyit ran off of us like water runs off the back of a duck!

The other point I noticed was that even though Paul totally disagreed with the Governor and I’m sure was somewhat bothered by the way Festus talked down to him, demeaned him and then on top of all that called him “crazy,” that he still honored the man and his position by respectfully calling him “Your Excellency Festus.”  I appreciated the way that Paul not only kept his cool in the midst of a heated situation, but also submitted to the line of authority in the room.

I am not sure that all my motives in keeping my feelings in check were always as noble as Paul’s!  To be honest… there were many times where I basically kept my mouth shut and a smile on my lips when certain comments were made, and then keeping lines of communication open when we moved out of state… simply due to my love and respect for Piper!  Paul was the one on trial in that courtroom that day… he was the prisoner with very little control of the situation… but yet, he was most definitely the leader in the room!

As I endeavor to follow what I believe to be the Lord’s direction for me… in this totally new day, in this totally new chapter in my life that is unfolding before me, in this totally new season of my life, I pray that I can walk in that same confidence that I did when Piper’s life was on the line.  I find that it was easier to walk the walk when it was for someone else… rather than for myself!  Do any of you feel that same way?

But I realize that as I continue to follow His directions, saturate myself in prayer, in the Word, in His grace, and in praise of Him… that His peace continues to lead me and I sense His confirmations that I’m doing the right things… even when I may not feel like it at certain times!  Sounds like a plan… RIGHT?

Hey… if it worked for Paul and worked for me… then I am certain that it will work for you as well!

Have a great weekend and keep expecting God’s best to unfold in your life today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.