Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, November 12, 2020

An Acceptable Level of Fear

Has your television viewing been bombarded with commercials for Medicare supplemental insurance plans?  With the open enrollment period ending next month, all the insurance companies want to get their two cents in!  I caught one of the commercials yesterday with the fast-talking announcer telling the viewer how confusing everything was with the many changes in Medicare next year, and how you needed to call their company for their knowledgeable explanation and “guarantee” of the best deal possible.

What I also noticed was that most insurance commercials seemed to underscore the FEAR that you are going to lose out on great deals, FEAR that you’ll get stuck with the wrong coverage and the FEAR that you are too stupid to understand and need someone smarter than you to take care of you! 

A couple of nights ago I was watching a TV show that I had recorded a week before the Presidential elections.  The channel was running many ads for the candidate that I did not vote for, and since I hadn’t listened to many of his ads, I decided to not fast forward through it and see what he was saying.  It became immediately apparent to me that everything the he stood for was based on a false narrative and this his proposed solutions were non-existent answers to non-existent problems.  From what I could see… his party’s entire platform was based on and fueled by the FEAR that their false narrative projected upon our country.

When I thought about it, I realized that most of the commercials that are seen on TV use some type of FEAR to sell their products.  The FEAR of not having something.  The FEAR of looking old.  The FEAR of not living the best and most exciting life possible or the FEAR of not being a member of the “in-crowd” because of what you drive, wear, drink or even how you might smell!

When I was watching the Medicare supplemental insurance commercial, I suddenly had a revelation moment when I stopped and had to ask myself if most people live with some confusion and FEAR in their lives.  Then I got kind of philosophical and wondered if most people actually think that it is just normal to live with an ACCEPTABLE LEVEL of FEAR in their lives… That this is just how life goes…

I can remember times when some people in the different churches we served in, asked if I could help them figured out different health, disability or senior benefits that they had applied for.  Most times they were confused and FEARFUL about making a mistake.  Looking back now, I wonder if that was simply a response that the world had been programming them for when the time arrived?

What also opened my eyes was the realization that I have been pretty naïve about it.  When I see commercials like the Medicare ones, I tend to laugh because they seem way over hyped to me!  I just don’t think like that.  Piper and I seemed to have learned early on in our Christian growth together, about the negative effects that FEAR can have on anyone’s life… and especially that of a Christian’s.

I like the Easy to Read Bible’s translation of 2 Timothy 1:7 where Paul wrote to the young Pastor Timothy declaring that “The Spirit God gave us does not make us afraid. His Spirit is a source of power and love and self-control.”  The Passion Translation states, “For God will never give you the spirit of fear, but the Holy Spirit who gives you mighty power, love, and self-control.”   The characteristic of “self-control” is also translated in other versions as “discipline, sensibility, temperance” and “good judgement.”

The Baptist Theologian John Gill wrote in his mid-1700’s “Exposition of the Bible” concerning this verse, stating that FEAR is, “A pusillanimous, cowardly spirit, so as to be afraid of men or devils, of what they will say or do; and so as to be discouraged in, sink under, or be deterred from the work of the Lord, the preaching of the Gospel… such a spirit is not from God, and such a fear brings a snare.”

I am of the definite opinion that FEAR is one of, if not the greatest weapon that the enemy of our faith uses against us.  It produces doubt and unbelief.  It can cause good people to freeze up when quick decisions are needed and can make one susceptible to incorrect or false information… something we currently see all around our nation today.

When faced with a difficult, confusing or potentially FEARFUL situation, I like to immediately change the course of my thinking to line it up with the Word of God which tells me that “I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13 God’s Word ©) That “greater is he that is in me, than he that is in the world” (I John 4:4 KJV) and that I am “strong, vigorous, and very courageous and am not afraid, dismayed or discouraged, for (I know) that the Lord my God is with me wherever I go.” (Joshua 1:9 AMP)  And last but surely not least, “my God will supply all my need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” (EMTV)

When push comes to shove… I could probably stand there all day, making truthful confessions of WHO the Word says that I am in the face of trouble or difficulty and of WHAT the Lord says is mine… contrary to what ANY FEARFUL situation is trying to throw my way!  How about you?

I firmly believe and history and experience (and not just mine… read Hebrews chapter eleven) will agree that this is EXACTLY the WAY that God WANTS us to respond when the deceitful enemy of our souls rises his ugly head and gets in our way!

Do you live with an ACCEPTABLE LEVEL of FEAR in your life?  God’s Word says that we don’t have to accept that lie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.