Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

The personality of Jesus Christ


Do you know that I still wake up during the night thinking that Piper is laying next to me in the bed?  It is one thing that I just can’t seem to shake.  I’ll wake up and in my half-asleep consciousness, automatically believe that she’s there and that everything is fine… but then as my brain begins to awaken, I’ll realize to my sad dismay, that nope… it’s just me and the dog in the house!   And even though I know that information to be truthful… there is always a wave of disappointment that sweeps over me.

One night after I had returned to bed after a bathroom stop, I sat on the edge of the bed thinking of her and was suddenly overwhelmed with gratitude when I considered the thought of how thankful I would always be to her for introducing me to the personality of Jesus Christ in His Word.  Most of you probably know the story of how I was an active and devout Catholic and fully believed that I was a Christian.  I believed in God, talked with Him in my prayers on a regular basis, had served faithfully as an altar boy and had even considered entering the Priesthood (for a short period of time).

But then there came this spunky, energetic and joyful girl Piper, into my life.  She was like no other girl I had ever known.  And I know that I probably sound like a broken record here… but she talked about and lived her life like Jesus was her best friend!  I had never seen or had that concept before.  But with her it was easy to spend hours talking on the phone about Him, while sharing our most intimate thoughts, dreams, inhibitions and strengths and weaknesses with each other.

We had a couple of Bibles in our house when I was growing up, but no one ever read them!  They were best served as a part of the décor on the living room end table.  Piper’s beliefs and her Bible were just a part of who she was, and in the midst of those first couple of years together, she introduced me to the personality Jesus Christ through the pages of her Bible and the little paperback New Testament she gave me while still in High School.

I quickly came to realize that the Bible isn’t just some holy book about Him… but it IS HIM speaking directly to me through the written word on its pages.  I saw the light, sort-of-speak and realized to my amazement, that when the writer of the book of Hebrews wrote that, “God's word is living and active. It is sharper than any two-edged sword and cuts as deep as the place where soul and spirit meet, the place where joints and marrow meet. God's word judges a person's thoughts and intentions.” (Hebrews 4:12 God’s Word ©), that he meant EXACTLY what he was saying!  God’s Word IS spiritually alive and speaks LIFE directly into us, when we take the time to fellowship with Him through the Word.

Through the many years since those early days of our relationship, I have grown and matured in the faith to the point that I EXPECT God’s Word to work in my behalf, when I love and trust in Him on a constant and continual basis. (See Hebrews 11:1)  Through the ups and downs of my life and especially over the last eight years of Piper’s existence on this planet, I came to know “the great magnitude of the astonishing love of Christ (for me) in all its dimensions. How deeply intimate and far-reaching is his love! How enduring and inclusive it is! (that it is an) Endless love beyond measurement that transcends my understanding—this extravagant love (that) pours into me until I am filled to overflowing with the fullness of God!” (Ephesians 3:18-19 The Passion Bible - personalized) 

I’ve learned that it is my increasingly intimate, experiential and very personal knowing of Christ’s LOVE FOR ME that gives me the ability, strength and fortitude to ACTIVELY BELIEVE His Word over any and all the circumstances that life may try to throw at me.

So yeah, as I sat on the edge of the bed the other night smiling, laughing and crying all at the same time, I was and continue to be immeasurably thankful to that very special women of God for introducing me to the life changing personality of Jesus Christ through the pages of His living Word, the Bible!

How about You?  If not or you aren’t sure… then take a trip in your Bible, your Bible phone app or online and turn to the book of Romans, chapter ten, verse nine* and simply DO what it says!  Then continue on to the next verse in order to understand what just happened to you!

God Bless you!  Have a great mid-week in the midst of your city’s “Stay at Home” order and let the LOVE of God in you splash onto everything and everyone you see today!



*Romans 10:9-10 is found in the New Testament immediately following the four epistles (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) and the book of Acts!  And if you want to get to know the personality of Jesus a little better, I’ve heard that the epistle of John is a good place to start… and most of all ~ ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.