Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, April 13, 2020

Get Ready to be Out-done!


I decided to take a hiatus from the news over the weekend and except for the updates on the different local news apps I have, I did a pretty good job at it.  I normally watch Fox News while preparing dinner, so in order to continue my news abstinence, I turned on a program called “Oklahoma Outdoors” on the local PBS station. 

This particular episode was about a fishing derby held on one of the many lakes surrounding the greater Tulsa metropolitan area.   I wasn’t totally focused on every point that they were making, but I did see a little banner come up across the bottom of the screen when they were showing a parking area next to the lake that was crowded with people, trucks and bass boats.  The banner said something to the effect that this program was recorded before the Corona Virus restrictions were put into place.

That notice sent my thoughts off into two similar directions.  The first being thoughts of when and how and if they would ever be like they were again.  And the second direction of thought concerned something I’d be pondering all weekend, mainly the heart-felt question of when my life would get back to like it was before and then maybe closer to reality… if it would ever again be similar to the way it was.

My study into glimpses of heaven has opened up my understanding to some of the greater dimensions of God’s love, His grace, His peace and of His joy.  So, while praying over this subject in the dark, early this morning, I suddenly had the thought pop into my heart that there may also be new dimensions of ME that God wants ME to explore in this new day of this new chapter and season of my life.

I had picked up what I call a “God Hint”* from a line in a movie that I was watching last night after dinner that got me to consider the fact that I have trying to see my immediate future through the Jim Berruto of my past.  As I stared off into the dark this morning, I started to laugh when I realized that I did not have the required experience, education or know how for just about every secular job that I’ve ever had, and succeeded in, when I first entered into the position.  I rapidly learned the ins and outs through on the job experience, training classes, asking a ton of questions and doing a lot of reading!  So why then, was I trying to foresee something different happening now in this later stage of my life?

I guess I was looking for something comfortable to slip into without a lot of thought or effort!  But why change now?  God reminded me that after all, He had put a pioneering spirit into me (and Piper) and had gifted me with the personality traits and characteristics that tend to thrive in the new, different and unexplored arenas and paths of life that were less traveled by most others.

In Psalm 40:5, the Psalmist exclaims, “O Lord, our God, no one can compare with you. Such wonderful works and miracles are all found with you! And you think of us all the time with your countless expressions of love—far exceeding our expectations!” (The Passion Translation)  The God’s Word © Version states part of this verse as “You have made many wonderful plans for us. No one compares to you!” 

That REALLY excites me!  How about you?  Just think about that for a moment or two…  “Wonderful works and miracles are ALL found with Him” that He expresses to us through His “countless expressions of love- far exceeding our expectations!”  I mean “WOW!”  And in line with all that He has “made many wonderful plans for us” that are out there just waiting for us to grab hold of and run with them!

And… if there are any intrepidations still left in you… Paul caps off his very descriptive discussion on the power of God working in our past, present and future in Ephesians 3:20, by boldly and without hesitation declaring that “He will outdo them all, for his miraculous power constantly energizes you.” (The Passion Translation)

Well, I’m not sure about what you may be thinking after all these stated facts… but I am pretty excited about what He’s got planned for me... and YOU as well!  I may not have any idea as of yet, what it may be… but according to His Word, it will be new and different, exciting, fun and meaningful to me as well as for the kingdom of God!

Have an exciting new week.  And as you do, say with me… “I am expecting God to outdo what He’s done for me in my past, in my future!”





*I call it a “God Hint” as I’ve come to realize that God has led me in certain directions throughout most of my adult life by little “Hints” that He gives to me through all kinds of situations, conversations, magazine articles, ads, etc, and yes, even movie lines.  For instance, I can recall countless times when caring for Piper throughout her illness when He led me to discover new medications, benefit programs, needed supplies and many other seemingly unrelated bits and pieces of information that directly assisted me in my desire and need to serve her in the best ways possible.  I have found it to be a good practice when I pray for wisdom and/or guidance from God, to keep my eyes and ears as well as my heart receptive and alert to these divine “Hints” that He brings across my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.