Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Be Alert!


With today’s blog post I am aiming to return to the Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule I had switched to a couple of years ago.  With all the craziness of the move, my posts have been coming out here, there and everywhere with no pattern at all.  So, hopefully… today will get us back on some semblance of a schedule!

Things here in Oklahoma are beginning to take a form of normalness for me… not like it is similar to anything before, but normal to this time and chapter of my life.  As I drive around Broken Arrow and the southern parts of Tulsa, listen to local Christian radio, observe local ads on TV, visit various stores and government offices while shopping or attending to state residency regulations and attending church, I am reminded again, that this area is totally different then other areas of the country that I have lived in, visited or researched.

People are blatantly open about their Christian faith!  Windows in store fronts, business ads, bumper stickers and public conversations openly display the Christian faith and Biblical principles.  And while the physical landscape of the state is totally different and maybe not as beautiful in the ways that I’m used to, the spiritual atmosphere and friendliness of the people more than makes up for it.

Before we moved back here, I made up my mind to see Oklahoma with a new set of eyes.  To view it through the uniqueness of its location in the country, to become educated with and a part of its special history and to live with the fact that this is now HOME... my home!  When we temporarily moved here in 2006, I was strictly focused on attending Bible School with the plan of returning home to California as soon as we could to get back to the call that I received in the mid-1970’s and whatever ministry the Lord had waiting for me.

The first six months was like heaven and then things began to surface concerning Piper’s health needs.  From that point on my life consisted of school, a full-time job and going to doctor’s offices on my days off.  Needless to say, I wasn’t really enjoying my surroundings!  But now… well, let’s just say that I have a different perspective!

Over the last few months as I prepared for the move and then after being here for going on three weeks now, it seems like the Lord is tiding up loose ends.  He’s been showing me bits and pieces of Biblical facts that are helping me to bring closure to many of the rough events of the last twelve years.

Last night just before I turned off the lights, I read from 1 Peter 5:8-9.  This morning I immediately went there again as I began my daily Bible study.  Last night I was reading from the King James translation but today I reached for a modern twist on Peter’s teaching.  The Message Bible tells us to, “Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up. You're not the only ones plunged into these hard times. It's the same with Christians all over the world. So keep a firm grip on the faith.” 

I like to follow the life pattern of keeping a cool head and staying alert throughout the ups and downs of daily life.  It is something that I had to become very aware of during the eight years I cared for Piper 24/7.  I did not ever want to be caught napping on the job when her life was literally in my hands!  The King James version declares that “the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour…”  Wuest’s Word Studies informs us that “the word 'roaring' in the Greek text speaks of the howl of a beast in fierce hunger.”  In other words… and we had first-hand experience with this… the devil doesn’t mess around when it comes to attacking you when you’re in a vulnerable position.  Let me assure you that his tactics are vicious, underhanded, and worse than you could ever imagine… and his attacks can and most likely will come from places you’d never thought possible.

But our verse also gives us a major key to our success over his potential attacks.  If you’ll notice, the end of verse states that he “Walketh about, seeking whom he MAY devour.”  The choice is up to you and me… but you need to stay alert, not be caught napping and then resist him when he attempts to harm you and yours.

So yes… this time around is different for me in Oklahoma.  I not only have a different outlook and purpose here, but am MUCH MORE aware of my surroundings in the physical as well as in the spiritual realms.  I’m staying cool-headed and alert.  And I am very sensitive to and knowledgeable of the depths of depravity that the enemy of our souls will go to in his attempts to foal up our days… with the eventual goal of destroying our lives.  (See: John 10:10)

How about you?  How alert are you? 

Have a wonderful celebration of our country (here in the USA) tomorrow, be proud to fly the Red, White and Blue, and be proud of who you are in Christ!  Happy, Blessed and Safe 4th of July…

-       Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.