Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

RESPECT & FAITH


I was listening to a live stream presentation of a seminar at my home church/Bible school yesterday morning where the speaker was discussing a Biblical timeline.  He began by reading parts of Genesis chapters 1-3.  When he got to verse six of chapter three my attention was suddenly peaked.  In this chapter Moses writes about the serpent’s temptation to Eve and then tells of her decision saying: “The woman saw that the tree had fruit that was good to eat, nice to look at, and desirable for making someone wise. So she took some of the fruit and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.” (Genesis 3:6 God’s Word ©) 

I was on my knees working on the molding in the dining room while playing the session on my computer when I took note of the meaning of that verse and smeared some spackle wildly across the wall.  It kind of felt like someone snuck up behind me and slapped me on the shoulder!  Hummm… could Piper do that from heaven?

The revelation immediately hit me that Adam was standing right next to his wife the whole time that the serpent was tempting her and failed to protect her… or the domain that God had placed in his care.  That hit a sensitive spot with me because I have always taken the responsibility of protecting my wife seriously.  Looking back, I can see now that there were times where I could have done a better job at it, but I never slacked in my attempts to look out for her.

For whatever reason, Ephesians 5:25 made an indelible mark on my life early in Piper’s and my relationship.  In this verse Jesus matter-of-factly told us men to “love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave his life for it.”  And if anyone ever protected his bride, the church, it was Him.  When Piper got sick in her later years, I never thought twice about my responsibility to care and protect her.  It didn’t always make me popular with people around us, but I really didn’t care what THEY thought, my only concern was what Piper thought!

One thing about Piper is that she always demanded respect from me and our children.  She trained up our kids to respect their parents, elders, each other and people in general.  If I ever got a little stupid in some of the things I did with her or with remarks that I would make to her in private, she would let me know in a nice (but you definitely knew that she was serious about it) way.  There were certain lines that I knew not to cross.  And I admired her for that stand.  She would get upset to the point of almost feeing physically hurt when she saw a child disrespecting their Mother with their careless words or actions, or a husband being less than respectful of his wife… especially in a public setting.

So, when she was not able to care for herself, I made a point to make sure that she was always cared for with respect and dignity.  I was VERY cautious as to who I would let touch her and would not stand for careless remarks directed to her as well.  While all the aids with our hospice group were wonderful folks, there was only one care-giver that I ever allowed to minister to my wife’s needs without me in the room with them.  That might seem like a little over-kill to some, but I was not going to take any chances when it came to my Piper.

As I thought about Adam’s response to the deception of the serpent in comparison with my responsibilities toward my wife, I also began to see that my faith played an important role in protecting her in her deepest time of need.  In order for me to do the best job possible for her, I needed to keep my personal faith STRONG and ACTIVE.  I had to keep the goal of our faith clear and focused at all times, keep myself physically healthy and strong and stay sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

For me that simply meant that I had to keep ACTIVILY BELIEVING just like I shared in my last blog post (2/18/19 “Walmart and Believing”).  If Piper and I were going to see this through with the authority and vigor that Jesus Himself detailed in His Great Commission to us in Mark 16:14-20, then our faith… and mine in particular… needed to not be stale but fresh and ACTIVE!  Which as I have stated over and over (and over) again, only comes to us believers through “hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” (Romans 10:17 KLV)  I know that I probably sound like a broken record, but this might be one of the most important (and basic) lessons in yours and my Christian walk.

I discovered the other night while praying in bed, that one of the strongest reasons for the loneliness and confusion I feel at times, is because I now find myself with no one to care for or protect.  When Piper and I began our relationship in High School, I suddenly found a purpose in life… HER!  So, now without her, I have to discover a new purpose for my life.  And while I know in my heart that it will come in God’s timing… it just doesn’t make the pain and void go away!  Sometimes I wonder how someone can miss another individual so much as to the point of feeling great pain.  But then again, I guess that just confirms what a special relationship we had!

Have a great rest of the week, and as you do, keep your faith STRONG and ACTIVE and say with me, “I am continuing to expect God’s best today!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.