Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, September 24, 2018

The Way to Victory!


Yesterday was a tough one!  With Piper’s Life Tribute* running in our hometown newspaper, I got to interact with a lot of people, many of whom I had not heard from in years.  I still stand amazed at the amount of lives that my lovely wife touched over the years.  It was a joy talking, texting, emailing, or posting on Facebook with all those wonderful folks who took the time to reach out to me and tell of their thoughts and unique experiences with Piper.

But you know… at the same time the finality of the absence of Piper’s physical presence in my life was renewed with each conversation.  But once again, even in her absence, Piper must have thought about this as I was glad that I had a stockpile of napkins stored away for when I used to help her with her meals.  Let’s just say I used more than a few of them yesterday…

On the positive side though, every time I would talk about her with others or read and re-read her obituary, I would think about all of the personal strengths that she employed on a daily basis in our life together.  The one that continually popped up was her love of God’s Word and the way she naturally incorporated it into every avenue of her life.  She had a way of simply folding a verse of scripture into her normal communications that came across as natural as a person’s next breath.  And the reason being, as I’ve shared many times before, because it was just a part of who she was.  It never came across as judgmental or scary, but with joy and encouragement.

The memories of that joy and encouragement is what kept drawing me back to God’s Word yesterday whenever my emotions seemed to reach difficult proportions.  God’s word that came to me shortly after Piper moved to her new home “to continue” kept coming to me throughout the day and I found myself repeating my personalized version of Proverbs 3:5-6 declaring;

“I continue to trust in you Lord with all of my heart, and not rely on my own understanding of things.  But in all of my ways I continue to acknowledge You, for You continue to be the One who keeps me on track.” (God’s Word© & The Message personalized)

I read a quote yesterday evening from Kenneth E. Hagin, one of the main generals of Piper’s and my faith that reminded me that “The Spirit of faith is a spirit of victory!”  And I couldn’t help but to nod my head and say “Amen!”  I can see today that it was that Spirit of faith that Piper and I continuously sought to grow in our lives through our ever-increasing time in God’s Word in the midst of the last eleven years with the attack on Piper’s health, that kept us strong, in peace, with an expression of joy and a constant expectation of God’s best.

During that time, we regularly encountered those who were filled with fear, despair and hopelessness over our situation and I am so glad that we chose to keep our eyes on a better answer… the love of God and the truth of His Word.  And now?  Well, I have no better way to go than the Spirit of faith in this next chapter of my life.  I have no reason to doubt that if it worked for us in - hands down - the most difficult time in our lives… that it can and will work again in this next phase!  What do you think?  Remember Hebrews 13:8 tells us that: “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.” (God’s Word©)

Well… my yesterday is gone and I’m moving into today and forever with that promise held close to my heart… What about you?

Say this with me today… “I am expecting the Spirit of Faith found in God and His Word to lead me to victory today!”


 * http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pressdemocrat/obituary.aspx?n=piper-kaye-berruto-canevari&pid=190296007

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.