Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, July 20, 2018

Out-of-Whack!


I was talking with our youngest daughter late yesterday afternoon and amongst the variety of subjects we discussed, she mentioned how her Mom seemed to have the knack of being able to be right in the middle of 3 or 4 different activities that were all going on at the same time and to do so with complete peace and control, accompanied with a joyful countenance and a big smile.  

Whether it was during homeschool with different age-specific lessons being taught to the four kids, with a group of neighborhood kids playing in our house, ministering to a group of children or youth at church, or at an extended family gathering, she could multi-task with the best of them!  If things ever got out-of-whack, or a little heated, she had the ability to turn it into a funny situation with all sides laughing… in spite of themselves.

Her aura emitted a quiet confidence and most people immediately felt at home with her.  She was definitely not a bragger, but just went about her daily life with the joy-filled revelation that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”  (Philippians 4:13 MKJV)  I can hardly remember a time in our 48 years together where she baulked at agreeing to try some new (sometimes fairly outrageous), faith-led adventure with me.  Philippians 4:13 was just a part of who she was!

The Message Bible best sums up the interaction between this verse and my wife as it states: “Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.”  If there was ever someone who “knew” the Word and blended it into every aspect of her life, it was Piper!

I’ve come to see that Piper’s intimate knowing of the Word is exactly what Proverbs 3:6 talks about.  Here the writer is completing his thought from the previous verse by declaring, “In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths smooth.” (God’s Word ©)  The definition of the word “acknowledge” is where the parallel to my wife’s experience comes in.  In the Greek translation that word is a derivative of the word “ginosko” which describes a very intimate, personal and close relationship.  To me, the author is telling us to take the time to develop an intimate knowledge of God’s will and/or direction for each and every situation we face in life.

Before I quit my position at The Home Depot back in 2010, in order to stay home and care for my wife, Piper and I spent a few months in prayer seeking God’s guidance for this event.  Even though we had stepped out in faith for finances throughout the years of our marriage, we realized that we needed to have a fresh revelation and plan from God for this particular step at this particular time in our lives.  

When the day finally came for me to walk out of the door of that store, with my final paycheck in hand, we had prayed it through, had our foundation scriptures solidly encased in our heads and hearts, had set a plan in motion and were fully focused on God and His Word… no matter what our (or other’s) sense knowledge tried to tell us.  We were assured that if we stayed on the path that He had set for us, that we would be fine… and we were! 

As I look back at that time, I am amazed to see how many different things fell into place in the following couple of years.  Sure, we had a few thin times and a fair amount of discouraging comments that came our way, but we were too focused and locked in on God and His Word to yield to any other so called “counsel!”

I firmly believe that this is a good example of how God desires us to “acknowledge” Him in everything we do.  Its being confident and sure that you know and will continue to follow His directions, even when things might get a little out-of-whack!  What do you think about that?  Do you have any personal experiences that you’d like to share?  Feel free to share them in the comments section below or if you’re reading this on Facebook, to share it there.

Have a great weekend, and as you do, keep asking yourself… “Am I expecting to really ‘know’ God’s will and directions for each situation in my life?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.