Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Oh... That Tastes Good!


One of the things that I have enjoyed since we’ve been out here in the southeast, is watching the local weekly TV programs that explore the South’s treasures and traditions.  I figured that if we were going to make our home out here, that we should taste of and have a knowledgeable appreciation of Southern Living.  This area of the USA is rich in history, southern culture and hospitality and can boast of some the most beautiful and varied landscapes in the country.

I quickly picked up in viewing these shows that true southerners are proud of their history and their traditions.  And while some parts of their history may contain blights on the human struggle, it is not something that they have tried to hide or erase from historical memory.  If anything, they have embraced it and allowed the lessons learned to make their society as a whole and them as individuals, stronger and more appreciative of the various races, religions and cultures that make our country unique.

In all of these programs there is always a segment that shows off particular restaurants and their contributions to the unique cuisines of the south.  There is one particular food critic whose descriptions and experiences of the foods he is sampling always brings a smile to my face.  He is an older gentleman who as I’m finding out, has a longtime and well-known presence within the culinary circles of North Carolina.  
He has a homespun air about him but yet has the ability to draw the viewer right into the scene with him!  His descriptions of the food and its presentation on the plate always tends to get my mouth watering.  But its his actual tasting of the food that causes me to chuckle!  When he scoops up the food on his fork, I’ll turn to Piper and say, “Watch this… here it comes…” and Bob will take a bite, chew for a moment and then say “Oh! Hummmmmm…. Oh… now that is delicious!”  Then he’ll break down the various flavors and textures that his taste buds are experiencing with each chew!  The contented grin on his face causes me to believe that he is being truly honest about what he is tasting.

You know?  I would love to see some time, when the host of the show takes a bite into the scrumptious looking meal before him or her and says, “YUK!  Oh, that’s really awful!”  Wouldn’t you?  It probably wouldn’t make the chef or restaurant owner happy though!  It would also reduce the TV audiences desire to jump in the car and drive to the restaurant in order to taste their meals!

I realized this morning that the writer of the book of Hebrews was also interested our taste buds.  The only difference is that he (or she?) isn’t talking about tasting food but about tasting life!  In discussing Christians who have slipped away from the Word of God, Hebrews 6:5 declares that at one time they had “tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come.”  In other words, they have been to God’s kingdom restaurant and tasted the delicious and powerful words on His menu, but then decided to walk away and frequent the fast food establishment down the street instead!

I would liken this life lesson to the comparison between the chuck steaks that our budget only allowed Piper and I to prepare for our family’s consumption years back, to the thick cut Angus Rib Eyes that we are able to purchase today.  There is NO comparison and I, unlike those spoken of in Hebrews, am NOT going back to an inexpensive but tough steak… or to the easy but tough way of living my life!

I had a choice to make last night after helping my sweet wife with dinner.  She wasn’t able to consume much and I was fighting discouragement and despair when I went into the dining room where she couldn’t see me and fell to my knees before the Lord.  Everything inside of me wanted to SCREAM and give up the fight that we’ve been involved with for many years now.

At that moment in time I had a pivotal decision to make… Which flavor and texture did I want to taste?  Defeat and failure, or the Zoë, absolute fulness of life of God that He promises in His Word?  I’ve tasted both flavors before and at that particular moment, with everything that I was physically and emotionally feeling at the time, giving up seemed a lot more palatable!  But then I remembered the delicious fragrances and textures of God and His Word that I have tasted throughout our past.  And the more I dwelled on it, the more I was reminded of the difference in taste between the liver and onions that my Mom used to try and force on me and one of those thick cut Rib Eye steaks.  So, once again, God’s menu won out!

I too have “tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come” and it is a fresh and strong enough memory that quickly causes my spiritual appetite to come alive with anticipation of the taste of His VICTORY!

How about you?  What do you want to TASTE today?

Have a great rest of the week, and as you do, keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting to TASTE today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.