Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, July 2, 2018

A Foundation for Life


I found myself standing in our bedroom late Friday morning, once again, telling Piper’s story.  The Certified Nurse’s Assistant from our Hospice group who had been coming out three times a week to care for Piper since we entered into their assistance program had recently left the company and this was the second visit by her replacement.

During her previous visit she had taken the time to view all the pictures of my wife that I have up on the wall near my bed.  In the midst of our conversation on Friday, she mentioned that if the pictures on the wall were any example, it looked like Piper really enjoyed a happy and active life that included a love for the great outdoors.  From that statement I began to share with her how the Piper currently laying there on the bed was so opposite to the “real” Piper that I’ve known and loved for almost 48 years now!

I am saddened at times when I realize that our younger two children’s spouses never got to meet the “real” Piper.  They have met members of her immediate family with which our kids felt might give their spouses a sense of Piper’s personality… but they’ve both had to concede that their Mom’s personality and ways were actually quite different from the rest of her clan.  As I’ve mentioned in the past, Piper’s always had a spontaneity about her… complete with a sincere smile and a happy, positive, caring and outgoing personality that tended to light up a room whenever she walked in.

Hopefully, I am not sounding like a broken record here, but I attribute much of who she was to her love for Papa God and the truth of His Word.  John 6:63 tells us that “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh accomplishes nothing. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.”  (International Standard Version)  There are two uses of the word “life” in this translation, but they are actually two different words in the original Greek.

The first talks of the Spirit who “gives life” and is probably better translated “quickeneth” as in the King James Version.  Thayer’s Greek Definitions defines this usage as “spiritual power to arouse and invigorate.”  Dictionary.com describes the meaning of “invigorate” as “to give vigor to; to fill with life and energy.”  And that my friends would very accurately describe my Piper!  I believe that those of you who have known her through the years would have to agree with that description.

In the second use of the word “life” Jesus is telling His disciples that the words He’s been speaking to them are “spirit and life.”  That word “life” is “Zoë” and describes “the state of one who is possessed of vitality or is animate; the absolute fulness of life; life real and genuine, a life active and vigorous, devoted to God, blessed, in the portion even in this world of those who put their trust in Christ…” (Thayer's)  This definition of “Zoë” also paints a pretty good resemblance to my wife!

Piper always had a real love for the Word of God and had a unique ability to quickly apply its meanings to her life in a very practical manner.  She was a gifted teacher and taught the practicality of the Word to our kids and a few generations of Youth and Children in the five or so churches we served in over the years.

I believe that her love and attention to the Word of God is what gave her that sparkling personality and life, and the foundation of joy that could not be shaken by negative reports.  I mean let’s face it here… Jesus Himself told us that His Words fill us with the spirit and a source of life that is not available anywhere else!  What it comes down to is the question of whether we choose to believe that or not!

Piper did… and the veracity of that life long decision carries forth today in me, our kids and in anyone who had the privilege of getting to know her.

What is the foundation of your life?

Have a great week, and as you do keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting to give me “life” today?”



PS:  And speaking of life… I was watering the flowering plant hanging from our porch this morning when a fuzzy grey little birdie popped up its head and began squealing from the water dumped on his head!  Then Mama bird flew out and was not too happy… so I made a quick retreat into the house!

1 comment:

  1. Jim - I love seeing all of your photos. I am sitting in my first (an probably only) house in Roseland that thanks to my mom I am able to own. I am at my Formica table (like I grew up with) looking at a great family photo that you took at our Domer Family Reunion. My Grandma, Grandpa, Mother, Father, Uncle Kenny, Brother in law Sandy and my son's dad (Joe) have all passed on. It is so nice to remember these times and the people in our lives that are no longer with us. Seems like yesterday. Lisa McKee

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.