Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Flippant Words!


For the vast majority of our adult lives, my wife and I have been part of a Christian denomination that strongly advocates the importance of our words and the power of positive confession… especially when it comes to taking a stand of faith.  I guess that is the main reason that I resisted the thought of engaging the services of Hospice to assist me in the care of my wife for a few years prior to bringing them on board a little over a year ago.

In my minds eye, all they would do is bring a constant reminder of the potential of her passing… which did not agree with the direction of my Bible based stand of faith.  In the months that they have been on board, I have come to understand that while one of their missions is to prepare one for the final step, they are in fact, much more than that!  I have been highly blessed at the Christian foundation within this particular hospice group and delight to see them openly embracing our stand of faith.  I feel many times after they’ve been to our home for a visit that I’ve been to church!

Throughout this ten-year journey that we have been on though, I have also been involved with the interactions of other folks whose words have been… shall we sayless then encouraging… to the point that their words would lean to the “flippant” side instead.

In Matthew 12:36-37 Jesus taught on the subject of the importance of our words and declared: “But I say to you that every idle word, whatever men may speak, they shall give account of it in the day of judgment.  For by your words you shall be justified, and by your words you shall be condemned.” (MKJV) 

With my over forty years of being taught about the seriousness of our words, it bothers me when I see people taking such low consideration of what’s coming out of their mouths.  Do you know what I mean?  At times it seems like they are joking, the next minute they are being insensitive and then one hears words of love and Christian affection.  In the midst of my wife’s situation, I have come to take to heart and depend on people’s words and subsequent actions.

Dictionary.com defines the word “flippant” as, “characterized by levity which means, “lightness of mind, character or behavior; lack of appropriate seriousness or earnestness.”  The seriousness of the life situation that Piper and I face on a daily basis has forced me to take a whole new and eye-opening look at the words that I speak to her, as well as to others that I interact with in her care.

But with the seriousness of our words, I have also come to see that it is not so much our words that make us, but more importantly our actions!  I was getting Piper ready for the day one morning last week when the thought hit me that “Our actions define us!”  Yes, our words are important and according to our scripture verse we will have to address all those “idle words” that we’ve spoken in our lives, but from what I have experienced in our toughest time of need, is how I can easily forget someone’s words, but their actions are definitely pressed into my memory.

I’ve known some who say all kinds of sincere and even very Christian words… but in actions DO NOTHING!  I have to be brutally honest here… their actions tell me that I can’t really believe what I hear in conversations with them!  I like what The Message Bible says about this line of thought in James 2:17, “Isn't it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?” 

Previous to this verse, James is talking about the individual who comes across an old friend who is in need of food and clothing and responds to the situation by saying: “Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!" and (then) walks off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup—where does that get you?” (James 2: 15-16 The Message)

We’ve been in the place of that needy one… left standing with our empty hands held out and shaking our heads!  It is not a really good feeling to be left hanging like that.  So what do you think?  Words/Actions… Actions/Words… Where does the importance of your words and actions stand in your life?  Do you understand the consequences behind the things you say and do? 

I’ve certainly come to have a better understanding of the seriousness of my words and the subsequent actions I take today… and I can honestly say that I’ve also been quite embarrassed when I consider some of the things I’ve said and then didn’t follow up on in my past!  I guess one is NEVER too old to admit error and correct it… even at 65!  (Who says that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks!)  I had a Pastor tell me once that I was the most teachable and humble person he knew… and while I am not too sure about that… I hope and strive to stay that way!  How about you?

Have a wonderful rest of the week, and as you do, keep asking yourself… “Am I expecting my WORDS and my ACTIONS to be a blessing to others around me today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.