Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, March 9, 2018

I Can Do That... Really!


With everything going on with my wife’s health, I have spent a lot of time while caring for her, thinking about our life together.  Yesterday it kind of dawned on me that Piper and I have always thought a little differently than most others… especially when it came to pursuing a major faith project, a life goal or even when planning a large event for church, at work or with family at home. 

When presented with a proposal to plan and lead something, our first thought… without much initial consideration of the many details involved… was “Sure, we can probably do that…” with the quiet but confident caveat ringing in our hearts and minds that “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” (Philippians 4:13 KJV)

That particular verse of scripture is one of the very first promises we found in God’s Word that we immediately took to heart and put to work in our marriage.  The beginning of Romans 4:16 in the Message Bible paraphrase tells us in plain language that “This is why the fulfillment of God's promise depends entirely on trusting God and his way, and then simply embracing him and what he does…”

Those powerful words seemed to best define our simple faith in God’s Word.  According to this verse, receiving from God is a two-step process.  First, we need to place our entire trust in Him and His ways.  And then learn to go with His flow by simply casting any other influences aside and embrace Him and whatever He does… or calls us to do.

I say that we usually thought a little different than many others in that while we first looked to God’s Word that says that through Him we can do all things, many around us thought us to be rather naïve because we didn’t first consider all the details and how difficult the project would be!  Over the years I’ve lost count of the many times when good meaning people (at least I think they were good meaning…) tried their hardest to talk us out of a faith project that looked to them to be quite impossible or even many a natural project that would seemingly overwhelm them.

Now, don’t get me wrong here.  I am not trying to paint a picture that says we never were tempted at getting overwhelmed in the midst of a project, but we learned some “tricks-of-the-trade” along the way that has helped us a time or two.  Most importantly, that we never ventured too far along the course without stopping to check in with the Boss, by humbling ourselves in prayer and thanksgiving.  These important and regular communication sessions did many things… They helped us to stay founded on God and His Word (by reminding us that we can only complete this task “through Christ who strengthens me” – God’s Word ©), served to keep us calm and on track and enabled us to also keep up with all the other things in our very active lives!

I also learned through the years to keep my daily focus as simple and clear as possible by only concerning myself with one day at time, instead of panicking by looking at EVERYTHING on my To-Do list all at once!  This little trick has helped to keep me strong and encouraged in the daily care of my lovely wife and not get discouraged when certain days don’t go as well as others.

The second part of Romans 4:16 goes on to say that as we do the first part of the verse that “God’s promise arrives as (a) pure gift (ie; through His GRACE).  (For) That’s the only way that everyone can be sure to get in on it.” (MSG)

You see, we can stand and act in faith because we fully trust in God and His ways due to the fact that He, in His Grace, has already provided the promises in his Word to us through Jesus’ finished work on the cross.  For Faith takes what Grace has already provided for us! 

Therefore, when we trust in His Word and act accordingly in the daily events of our lives, we can rest assured that God will do what He says He will do because of His Grace, which is His unmerited FAVOR that's empowered by His unfailing and unquestionable LOVE that He has bestowed on every believer through what Jesus did for us a few thousand years ago.

So, you see… You and I REALLY CAN DO all things through Christ who strengthens us!  It is a gift that He has already provided for us.  All you and I need to do is take a hold of it by faith.  Modern dictionaries define the word “simply” in Romans 4:16 as “straight forward or in a plain manner; unaffectedly.”  I like that!  We simply trust in God and His Word and not allow ourselves to be affected along the way by any contrary outside influences.  It’s as simple as that!

Have a great weekend, and as you do, keep asking yourself… “How simple am I expecting my Faith, which I base on God’s Grace, to be in and for me today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.