Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, August 21, 2015

What's In a Name?


I was brought to tears a few months back when our youngest daughter told me that she and her husband had decided to name their coming baby, Sarah Piper, in honor of her Mom!  She wanted to be reminded of all that she said that her Mom meant to her and had done for her, taught her and has loved her over the years through her daughter.  I was touched and delighted as Piper’s legacy was to continue in a very visible manner!
I read an article this morning on my Yahoo online homepage about a growing trend of unconventional and unusual words that parents are using to name their children.  The proliferation of names such as “Alias, Boss, Eliminate, Gamble, Halo, Kindle and Remedy” among others, were mentioned in the article.  In some cases I cannot imagine what these folks might be thinking in their decisions!  When considering various baby names, my wife and I discussed what it would be like for the child to live with that name in school and into their adult lives.  As with many other Christians, we always have believed that our names are very important and make a statement to the character of each of us. 
With all this in mind, I thought that it was quite interesting that God made it clear that He had a definite purpose in naming His incarnate Son, Jesus!  He made the point to send an angel to instruct Joseph as to how to name the child in Mary’s womb.  He also made it clear as to what that special name would mean… Salvation!  Matthew 1:21 gives us that conversation saying: “And she shall bear a son, and you shall call His name Jesus: for He shall save His people from their sins.” (MKJV)
The more I study about the precious name of Jesus, the more I understand that His name and God’s total and complete Salvation are synonymous with each other.  In the Greek the word we translate as "Salvation" or "save" is the all-inclusive word “sozo” meaning “to save, deliver, protect, heal, preserve, do well and to make whole.” (Strong’s)  Other Greek dictionaries and scholars agree that its work includes the whole man, spiritually, physically, mentally and emotionally.  Therefore, I believe that you could rightfully add to that verse by declaring “… for He shall save His people from their sins and all the effects thereof!
The first recorded miracle performed in that name by the early followers of Christ caused quite a sensation amongst the religious leaders of the day.  E.W. Kenyon writes in his book “The Wonderful name of Jesus” that “No miracle like this had ever happened before in human history; it shook the Sanhedrin to the foundation – their wisest men were in confusion; the disciples were ordered aside for a moment while the Sanhedrin conferred, and in their fear they threatened (them)…” (page 40)
When’s the last time you spoke out the name of Jesus and sent the authorities into a tizzy?  I want to do that… and you know what… the more I learn about the power, authority and anointing that is inherent in the name of Jesus and is available for my use in order to bring His saving grace, healing and wholeness into the lives of the people I come into contact with on a daily basis, the more excited and EXPECTANT I am becoming!  WOW… I can hardly wait!  What about you?  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What or How am I expecting to USE the power, authority and anointing of His NAME… to change people’s lives… today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.