Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

"Like HELLO!"


Back in the beginning of the 1990’s following much prayer and preparation, I left my secular job to pursue some additional ministry goals.  After about three years of hard work, lots of sweat and a few tears, it became apparent that our current endeavors were not bringing in enough consistent income to pay the bills!  The electronics industry was booming at the time and I was able to return to my old employer and get my foot back in the door as a temporary employee.
I figured that after all the long hours and constant stress I had been under over the last three years that the job as an assembler on a production line that built high tech electronic connectors would be a welcome relief!  Well, that feeling lasted about two months as I soon felt like I was out of touch with everything around me.  Nine of my previous eleven years with the company had been in production management and I quickly found that I hated being apart from the decision making and action planning loop!
And as a Temp it was even worse because we didn’t even get to go to the division meetings due to information security protocols.  After a little over a year I was hired as a permanent employee and immediately began searching the company wide job openings for a supervisorial position.  Then after a few months I was back in my old division supervising in the Fabrication area at a higher pay rate than when I had left.  Once again… God had a hand in my life!
That memory came back to me this morning as I read again from Colossians 3:2 in The Message Bible.  This paraphrased version instructs us to “Pursue the things over which Christ presides…”  When I returned to Hewlett Packard as an assembler, I discovered that I did not like being one of the last in line when information came down the chain of command.  I enjoyed the interactions at the other end of the decision making process.
I guess you could say that I liked to hear directly from the source!  I believe that this is exactly what the Apostle Paul was conveying to his readers and to us today as well.  In modern vernacular he would be telling us that in time of need it is best to go right to the one who has all the answers… to go right into the bosses office and ask him or her what was going on, what to do and/or to receive any and all the assistance, wisdom, knowledge and the tools that you need to best accomplish the task at hand.
Contrary to what some folks have thought, I have always been one to do my homework before I venture into a course of action.  I will hit the books (or the internet now-a-days!) and try to learn all that I can when facing any particular situation.  My wife’s dealing with Alzheimer’s is a good example of this.  But the main reason I do these investigations is to best know what I am standing against when I step out in faith to follow God’s plan and/or will as outlined in His Word for whatever it is I may be facing.
Once again, our battle against this disease has brought this subject very near to me.  One of the three steps that the Lord told my wife and I to follow upon leaving Oklahoma in 2009 was to go back home and find out exactly what we were dealing with concerning this attack on my wife’s health.  The doctors in Tulsa were a bit confused as her initial tests showed one thing while her still active abilities to take care of herself, cook, communicate, drive and live independently tended to throw a monkey wrench in their potential diagnosis.
The Lord clearly gave us Philippians 2:9&10 as our defense while He instructed us to get a “name” for that which was attacking her so that we could command the name of that disease to bow before the “name that was above every name.” (KJV)  He wanted us to do our homework in the natural, but then go right to the top to find the answer and to follow His prescribed course of action!
Like I have mentioned many times before, I tend to get a little confused and amused when I observe good meaning, mature Christians seeking first the solutions of the world instead of those of the kingdom of God. Yes, I like to know what I am facing, but I ALWAYS face it in the miraculous power of the head of the church!  Just like my experiences in my secular employment over the years and my desire to be as near to the top of the decision making process as I can, I like to do the same in my Christian walk.  After all… He is the head and I am part of his body.  Doesn’t it make sense to go to the head instead of to another source that is not connected to me… to the real me… the man on the inside?
I read somewhere the other day where the author stated that at the beginning the spirit of man was the dominant force in the world, but when he sinned his mind became dominant.  Well if I understand the Gospel correctly, Jesus’ actions restored the born again believer’s spirit back to its place of dominion in this world.  Why then, do many of us still lean on the facts that our five senses tell us instead of what the infallible Word of God says!
Interesting thought wouldn’t you say… especially when Hebrews 4:16 encourages us to “come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and grace to help in time of need.” (KJV)  So, why waste time following the world’s shortsighted solutions when we have the right and the ability to go directly to the King of Kings and Lord of Lord’s and get the right answers at the right time from the One who presides over the things of our lives?  Like some of my young friends would say… “Like HELLO!”
Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What or Who’s wisdom, knowledge and understanding am I expecting to directly seek today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.