Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, September 19, 2011

We're Back!

Hello everyone!  We have finally returned from our trek across the California mountains to the desert of Nevada and then east through the states of Arizona, New Mexico and Texas to our final destination of Broken Arrow Oklahoma, in order to attend the wedding of our youngest daughter JoAnna.  Throughout the coming week I will share many of the events that we were involved with throughout the fun, but yet very busy six day adventure.

To be honest, I must admit that I was more than a little concerned and a little anxious about taking my wife on this excursion.  After waiting a fair amount of time, I finally felt a peace about it and purchased the airline tickets approximately a month before the date we had set to leave.  From that point on I was determined to press through any distractions that the enemy might set before us and attend this most important event.

A few days before we were to leave I remembered something that the son of the president of my Bible College had said to us in class one day.  He recalled, that when growing up, his Dad had always encouraged him and his sister to stand on Proverbs 3:4 where it states that we have “favor and good understanding in the sight of God and man.”  (King James Version)  Another version that I had read rendered this promise as “favor and a good report with man as you have with God.” At that moment of remembrance, I took hold of that verse and claimed it for all the stages of our trip, with special consideration for airport security and the various plane boarding’s.

On the day we began our adventure, all went smooth until we arrived at the Sacramento airport.  First we had a difficult time finding a parking place.  Once that was accomplished, we faced a rather extended line that snaked it’s way to the airlines check in counter.  After we progressed through that step we were surprised to observe an even longer line awaiting us at the security station.  I began to get a little nervous when I realized that we only had about 20 minutes to make our flight when we were at the half way point in this line.  As I sent my thoughts heavenward I continually received the peaceful reply inside my spirit that “it was going to be okay!”  I even kept my peace as a fellow traveler anxiously walked up the line repeating to all of us that he passed saying “I have a plane to catch in 15 minutes can I move ahead of you!”   For a moment there I thought the man in front of me might deck the guy, but the incident passed by smoothly.

Then just as all was beginning to look hopeless, a women security officer stepped up to the line near us and opened another entrance to the scanning area.  As we approached her I informed her of my wife’s needs and she immediately replied “I’ll take care of her.”  She whisked my wife and I through the scanner and had another officer stand guard next to a vacant chair so I could conveniently get her shoes back on after we went through the machine.  From there I practically dragged my wife through the terminal as the airline began paging our names announcing our last chance to board the departing flight.

As my forehead began to bead up with sweat, my older son (who just happens to work for Southwest Airlines at that airport) suddenly appeared and said “relax Dad, they’re holding the plane for you!”  Later on I found out that even the pilot had gotten involved when he heard of our plight by telling the gate agents that he could hold the plane for another five minutes and then make up the time in the air!  Whew!  You talk about favor!  The flight attendants even moved a few passengers around so that my wife and I could sit together.  Then the passengers sitting around us went out of their way to help my wife get seated and her belt fastened.

So… what was I sweating about?  God’s word said that I had “favor and a good report,” but I still allowed my natural side to get worked up!  Have you ever been there and done that?  As the plane began to rise up into the clear blue sky, I suddenly began to laugh at the absurdity of my actions.  I could have saved myself from a whole lot of anxious concern and a wet shirt if I had just fixed my attention on Jesus and His word.  (Remember Hebrews 12:2?)

Are you facing any potentially anxious concerns this week?  I would challenge you to learn from my adventure.  Find God’s word on the subject of your need, speak it out, stand on it and trust HIM to do what He says He will do!  Then sit back and "enjoy the friendly skies of United…" or in my case Southwest Airlines!

Have a great week!  It’s good to be back and I encourage you to stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

1 comment:

  1. I'm anxious this week. God has led me to start a second blog. It's going to be a blog about families and ministry to families. Don't get me wrong... I'm excited about it, but I have a lot of anxiety when I do something for the first time. Thanks for sharing your story. God always provides a way when He has a plan. God is good. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.