Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Knight Rider - 2011


Last night I taught a mini lesson to the students in our Children’s Church class concerning the same subject that I have been talking about on this blog for the last few days.  When I spoke about leaving behind the sights, sounds and smells of Jesus they all began to chuckle.  After the sillies that followed, the kids openly began to share what they thought it would look like afterwards if Jesus had passed through a store, their school or their neighborhood.  They also understood the point and talked about ways that they could be like Jesus when they were out and about the city.

This morning as I reviewed some of their statements, I began to think about the recorded evidence of what Jesus had actually left in His wake as He traveled the land around Jerusalem.  Wherever He went His presence was verified through the many healed individuals, the forgiven sinners, the restored families, the full stomachs, the prosperous fisherman and by the confused and angry religious leaders!  These men were upset because Jesus didn’t respond to people’s problems in the ways the world dictated as the normal proper reaction.  Jesus didn’t condemn, He loved.  He didn’t teach a long set of Do’s and Don’ts, He forgave and healed.  He didn’t tell people to be warm and filled and then walk away, He met their needs!

The anticipation of Jesus coming to their towns caused the local population to come out with great expectations of receiving the love and miracles of God.  Instead of running to hide from fear of condemnation and/or retaliation from their religious and government leaders, they joyfully came out in great multitudes.

… And now we can do the same as He did in our cities and towns!  Jesus set that precedent when He said “I can guarantee this truth: Those who believe in me will do the things that I am doing.  (In fact) They will do even GREATER things because I am going to the Father.  I will do anything you ask the Father in my name so that the Father will be given glory because of the Son.”  (John 14:12-13 Gods Word © parentheses mine)

What are the GREATER THINGS that will mark your relationship with the Master in your neighborhood, in the stores you frequent, at your job, and in the schools you or your kids attend?  How will the people see Jesus through you?  Think about it for a few moments.  Does this depend entirely on your own energy and resources?  No, thank the Lord!  Remember Jesus said that I will do anything you ask the Father in my name…”  All we have to do is to be obedient to His leading and confident in the integrity of His Word, and then let the blessings flow!

Whoa… I can see it now!  A revolution of His love flowing through our neighborhoods, into the heart of the cities and then extending across the nation.  Sound a little far fetched to you?  I don’t think so!  It reminds me of the closing scenes of “Knight Rider”, my favorite TV series in the 1980’s, where “Kitt,” the customized black Knight Industries Two Thousand Pontiac Trans Am would zoom off into the distance with the deep voice of the narrator saying: “One man can make a difference!”

You and I can be that one man or women in other people’s lives today.  If you need a little kick start, just confess II Timothy 1:7 and allow His power to “Turbo Boost” you into making His mark in your world!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself:  “What GREAT Things am I expecting TO DO today?”


PS:  I know what you’re thinking JoAnna… "Do we have to watch the re-runs of Knight Rider again?  Geez Dad…"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.