I first started listening to Satellite Radio toward the end of 2014 when Piper and I purchased our Mustang GT convertible. The car was equipped with a satellite antenna and receiver and because of the novelty of it, we decided to try it out and subscribed for the Sirius XM car and home internet package.
Well… it didn’t take me long to see the value
of it as it made available a huge variety of music stations, with almost every genre
of music available, a broad range of news/talk radio and coverage of just about
any professional sports game throughout their various seasons of the year. SiriusXM also offers live and/or recorded coverage
of a wide scope of musical concerts, special events, religious programing and
even the live audio for many of the major TV news networks.
A major perk
for me was the ability to listen to the stations that I enjoy as I travel about
in my car, without the typical fading in and out of the terrestrial
AM/FM radio stations. During the
different times I drove from state to state, I was amazed and comforted to know
that I could listen to the same station the whole way… or for that matter…
to any station that I desired and then be able to flip back to my favorite
station, and enjoy the same, strong, consistent reception.
And speaking of
enjoying the ‘same, strong and consistent reception,’
I came across a couple of verses that seemed to confirm my thoughts… not only for
life in the natural realm, but also in the furtherance of my daily spiritual life.
Proverbs 3:5-6 encourages
us to,
“Trust GOD from the bottom
of your heart; (and) don't try to figure out everything on your own. (but instead,) Listen (intently and even intimately) for
God's VOICE in everything you do, (and in) everywhere you go; (for) He's the One who will keep
you on track.” (MSG/TPT personalized)
The idea of
listening intently and even intimately to
the VOICE of the Lord from these modern translations definitely
arrested my attention. The more
traditional King James Version says “In all thy ways acknowledge” the Lord. And a quick look at the definition of “ACKNOWLEDGE”
in both the Hebrew and Greek informs us that this word is a direct derivative
of the Greek word “ginosko” which speaks of having an ‘intimate’
and deeply personal relationship with the VOICE (ie;
wisdom) of the Lord!
So… with the thought of intimately listening
to His VOICE in “everything we do and in everywhere we go,”
I was immediately reminded of a section of Old Testament scripture when the
Lord was speaking with Elijah the Prophet and instructed him to go and stand on
the top of a mountain. And thereby…
Elijah obeyed… expecting to receive a clear word from the Lord… climbed
up the mountain and was immediately inundated with hurricane force winds,
that were followed by an earthquake, to which the scripture states
that the Lord was not to be found in any of those things… but the
natural disasters didn’t stop there as the next verse declares:
“And after the earthquake a FIRE,
but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire (finally -whew!) a STILL
SMALL VOICE.” (KJV / I
Kings 19:11-12)
Over the years,
I have personally gotten to know that “STILL SMALL VOICE” of the Holy
Spirit speaking to me from the depths (or ‘BOTTOM’*) of my heart quite well! But it didn’t happen overnight. I’ve learned from my older teenage years
through today, that familiarity with that VOICE increases
in degrees the more we “intently and intimately LISTEN” and obey
it!
For me it began
as a familiar VOICE that I heard coming from somewhere
deep inside me the very first week Piper and I started dating, when I heard (or
rather “sensed”) it
say, “This girl is special and you need treat her with respect and honor…
and protect her innocence.”
It was a friendly,
familiar but yet gently authoritative VOICE that yes,
I had heard before… but in reality… had NO idea who or
what it was… just taking for granted, that it was the gentlemanly example of
respect, honor and love that my dad always exhibited
toward my mom!
But it was
not only that… it
was much more! Through
the ensuing months and years, I entered into a personal relationship with Jesus
Christ and became increasingly more and more familiar and intimately
knowledgeable of that VOICE as the VOICE of the
Lord… speaking softly, gently and yet authoritatively to
my spirit on the inside of me.
Now… you’ll notice in our verses from I
Kings 19:11-12, that when the Lord instructed Elijah to go up to the top of a
mountain, Elijah did not immediately get the clear and concise word of
direction that he was expecting. In fact,
he got the opposite as he faced all kinds of natural, noisy, destructive
and distractive catastrophes before he finally tuned in to the Lord’s STILL,
SMALL VOICE speaking to him.
It is pretty
clear that listening for and being able to tune in
and hear the VOICE of the Lord takes an
ever-increasing familiarity with His VOICE and the ability
to not be distracted from the things that will try to make us not
hear or incorrectly hear and discern His wisdom
and/or instruction to us.
Jesus gives us
an example of having and ever-increasing familiarity with His VOICE,
when a blind man with whom He had healed, came back and inquired of Jesus
saying,
“Sir, tell me who He is so
that I can believe in him.” (John 9:36
/ God’s Word ©)
And Jesus
replied, (This response hit me as a somewhat humorous answer… who says
Jesus doesn’t have a sense of humor…):
"You're looking right
at Him. Don't you recognize My VOICE?" (John 9:37 / MSG)
I’m pretty sure
that the healed man’s life changed that day, after his introduction to the man
behind the VOICE of his healing.
I would imagine that he made it a point to hear and become a lot more familiar
with that VOICE over the following years of his life… and in
turn, be a walking and talking, fervently vocal disciple of Jesus, spreading
the word of that VOICE in everything he did and in everywhere he
went.* And you know… that’s
exactly the person that I believe God wants you and me to become!
But be
aware… One thing
that I have noticed since listening to Satellite Radio is that now
that I’ve had it for a few years… it is easy for me to tune it out as simply
background noise… with all the distractions around me in the house or car… due
to its ‘same, strong and consistent reception!”
I tended to be
more alert to and aware of the music or talk that was coming from
the radio when I was listened to the old terrestrial AM/FM radio stations… with
their occasional atmospheric static and loss of reception. When the program got fuzzy, I would take
immediate notice and attempt to fine tune the frequency so that I could hear it
better…
Humm… I betcha that I sometimes do the same
thing when God is trying to speak to me… and my familiarity and level of
comfort with His VOICE causes me to lose the urgency of staying
tuned in to His VOICE… What about you?
Have a great
week and weekend ahead. We’ve been under
Extreme Heat Warnings for a week or so… but it broke yesterday with a high forecast
of only 87… PHEW – PTL!
But… out here one always needs to stay
alert to sudden weather changes… like the potential of a stray TORNADO
tonight that I just heard about!
I pray that
your weather is pleasant so that you can go out and enjoy nature while sharing
your knowledge and intimate relationship with the VOICE of
God with those around you!
*See Proverbs 3:5-6 above…
No comments:
Post a Comment
Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.