Spring 2024 has come upon us in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, May 18, 2024

Fickleness!

When I was studying out a section of scripture this morning, I leaned over to the left of my desk and grabbed my wife’s 1974 Illustrated Living Bible “The Way” in order to contrast this paraphrased translation against the other five versions I had previously looked at.  I enjoy looking at different translations when I study the word, as different versions will many times emphasize words or thoughts not brought out in others.

I’ve mentioned many times before of how I often feel closest to my dearly departed wife, when I am reading the portions of scripture that she had underlined and or notated in her various Bibles.  But what I realized today, was that the memories of her were even stronger when I read from this particular Bible.  And when I began to contemplate this thought, I started having flashbacks of our time at and immediately following our attendance at Chico State University.

We were newly engaged previous to school starting in the fall of 1973 and were on our own, living in our separate dorms, some three hours away from our homes.  In some respects, it was like a practice time for our upcoming marriage… even though we had not set a date at that time.  During that chapter in our lives, we were very focused and committed to God, to each other and to discovering the future plans that God had in store for us.

It was definitely a time for the exploration of our faith and everything we did concerning the growth of our Christian walks… we did together… be it Bible studies at the two Christian college clubs we were involved with, personal Bible studies, prayer and the hours we spent, in our spare time, dreaming about the things we’d like to do throughout our marriage together… and it was about half-way through our stay at Chico when Piper was given the copy of “The Way”, paperback Bible that now sits next to my desk… and you know?  I had to have one too! 

So, I went out and bought one so that we could read, study, pray and dream together in connection with our identical Bibles!  Therefore, it seems that when I look at Piper’s underlines and notations today, that it brings back all of those wonderful times as we explored the beginning foundations of our faith walk together… and… if I could find my copy of that Bible, I am pretty much assured that almost all the same places that are underlined in hers… are also underlined in mine!

I guess one could say that at that time, Piper and I were in total agreement and unity when it came to each other, and to our prayers, plans, dreams and aspirations.  There was no variableness of focus between us, no hidden agenda and no hint of fickleness (and YES!  I looked it up… and there is such a word)!

Piper’s “The Way” Bible paraphrases James 1:17 saying,

“But whatever is good and perfect comes to us from God, the Creator of all light, and He shines forever without change.”

The Message Bible… which I consider to be the modern generation’s paraphrase Bible, like “The Way” was to Piper’s and my generation, states this verse as,

“Every desirable and beneficial gift comes out of heaven. The gifts are rivers of light cascading down from the Father of Light. There is nothing deceitful in God, nothing two-faced, nothing FICKLE.”

I like the thought that there is nothing FICKLE with God.  Just as I was absolutely certain back in our Chico State days, that there was nothing FICKLE about Piper and I and our planned life together, I am assured beyond any shadow of doubt, that there is absolutely nothing that is FICKLE, or changing about God and the promises that He makes to you and me in His Word!  He NEVER changes His loyalty, interest or affection toward you and me!

When I would wake up on Saturday mornings and meet Piper in the middle of the expansive lawn that separated the men’s and the women’s dorms, and then stroll hand in hand to the cafeteria for breakfast… my heart was aflame with love for that petite, be freckled dynamo of a young lady next to me!  And I knew for certain that she only had my best interests in heart and mind and that I the same for her.

And… When I think about my relationship with the Lord, when I open up my Bible first thing every morning today… those same feelings of trust, oneness and joyful expectancy fill my heart… and I am assured that the same is happening within Him!

I know that His Word is true for me.  I know that His Word will NEVER change.  He said it.  That settles it… and I therefore I believe it.

No But’s and No What-If’s.  I am at peace at KNOWING and EXPERIENCING that “He shines forever without change” and “There is nothing deceitful in God, nothing two-faced, nothing FICKLE.”

And I’d like to bet… that this is the way that you feel as well!  Isn’t God Good!

Have a wonderful weekend.  We’ve got a forecast of a warm, sunny and rain-free weekend… so I know that I’ll be enjoying it… as I bask in the Non-Fickleness of God and His Word in my life this weekend… as well as in every day to come!

Be Blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.