Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, June 15, 2023

Sweet Fragrances!

Just before I turned the light out around ten last night, I walked through the darkened house and into the hallway where I turned down the air conditioner, as I tend to sleep better with the cooler temperatures.  Upon my return to the bedroom, I stopped at the piano to turn off the one light that was left on in the house and happened to pause for a moment when my eyes settled upon a picture of Piper, standing in the entrance of our big family tent, in the late 1990’s, while we were camping at our favorite State Park in the northeastern Sierras.

For that brief moment, I was reminded of all the wonderful sights, sounds and more specifically… the SMELLS of the campground in the early morning hours.  I can picture it as if it were yesterday… as I did my best to quietly unzip the zipper on the front tent flap and step into the chilly morning air. 

The routine for me was always the same.  Taking a step or two away from the tent so as to not awaken any of the remaining five occupants, and then stopping to enjoy the distinctive FRAGRANCE of the pine forest.  After that, there was the SMELL and sight of the lingering smoke wafting through the trees from the various campfires that were lit the night before, the AROMA of coffee being brewed on an outside camp stove, the Blue Jays squawking in all directions, squirrels scampering up and down the multitudes of trees and the occasional laugh of an early rising child somewhere in the camp!

Ah… and with all of it being absorbed into my senses… the accompanying satisfaction of peace, inner joy and contentment that always filled my soul!

This morning as I slowly arose from my slumber, I was quickly reminded of the sweet memories from the night before, and recalled a special portion of scripture where the Apostle Paul also talked about lingering FRAGRANCES and the sweet SMELL of VICTORY that they bring not only to you and me… but also to those we interact with throughout our busy days.

In II Corinthians 2:14 he wrote,

“But thanks be to God, who always leads us like a victorious parade to reveal the beauty of being in union with Christ and thus spread the loving FRAGRANCE of his character, methods and principles everywhere we go.”* 

Then he goes on to clarify how different folks see, hear and even SMELL the FRAGRANCE of Christ that emanates from those of us who are faithful followers of Jesus and explained that,

“Those who refuse the Remedy (the Gospel message) and are dying, find the SCENT of Christ offensive, while to those who have partaken of the Remedy, it is the SMELL of victory, the AROMA of transformation, and the BALM of life. And who is capable of such a task?”*

Paul is telling us that our loving union with Christ is like an actual FRAGRANCE that is tangibly released from us wherever we go.  For some it is an enjoyable SCENT that causes them to remember and/or think about pleasant memories that evoke peace, harmony, hope and love.  But to others who rebel against the message of Christ… it can have the opposite effect!

I was also reminded this morning of another warm Saturday morning in the late 1990’s, when I had stepped out into the garage to put the laundry from Piper’s and my hamper into the washing machine.  As the tub began to fill with water, I nonchalantly started to pull items from the hamper and toss them into the machine… when my attention was suddenly awakened by the sweet, tangible, perfumed FRAGANCE of Piper that seemed to float through the air from the article of her clothing that I had in my hand.

And just as the sweet FRAGRANCE of Christ reminds us and others of “His character, methods and principles everywhere we go,” in that moment of time, standing alone with the two cars in front of the washing machine… I was instantly reminded of Piper’s unquestionable character, methods and principles… and of how much I deeply loved, honored and respected her.

With her being gone for almost five years now, I often times have sweet memories of the FRAGRANCE of her life that she and I… in cooperation with the Lord and the truth of His Word… lived together… and as I am planning and working toward my future, I find that those sweet memories tend to strengthen my resolve, fortify my confidence and ignite my excited expectations for the Lord’s and my vision for the future.

What familiar and enjoyable FRAGRANCES of Christ from your life… both past and present… bring pleasant memories that evoke peace, harmony, hope and love in your lives?  And does the sweet FRAGRANCE of your loving union with Christ resonate from you everywhere you go?

I would like to think that my presence in my neighborhood, in the grocery store and as Fiver and I take a walk along the golf course each day… and many times interact with the golfers… carries with it, the sweet FRAGRANCE of Christ and in doing so… makes a lasting impression on those we see.

HOW ABOUT YOU?

I’m not sure why… but I keep thinking that today is Saturday… but it’s only Thursday!  But either way, I pray that you all have an enjoyable rest of your week and keep EXPECTING God’s BEST as you carry and emit HIS FRAGRANCE into every place you go!

 

*II Corinthains 2:14,16 - The Remedy translation 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.