Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, May 1, 2023

Singlemindedness

I enjoy listening to Sirius XM’s enLighten channel in the early morning hours on Sundays.  They dedicate the time to the old hymns and they are sung by many of the popular, past and present Southern Gospel groups.  Hearing these often-times forgotten hymns in our current age of contemporary worship music, always brings me back to Piper’s and my heavy involvement at her Baptist church during our early days of dating and marriage throughout the 1970’s.

Back then, the “old” hymns were new to me, for while we sang hymns at my Catholic church, we didn’t sing the same ones that the protestant churches did.  So, while hearing the different hymns usually brought back specific memories of special services, ministry events and cause me to smile in remembrance of many funny things that Piper and I did or were involved with at the church, yesterday’s listening to the hymns took on a whole different focus for me.

I had been studying in James 1:7-8 during what I have begun to call my “coffee time with the Lord” first thing each morning, and was increasing my understanding on the subject of “SINGLEMINDEDNESS” in the pursuit of my daily faith.  And as I stood at the kitchen sink, while filling my coffee carafe with water, I suddenly froze and stared out across the living room when I realized that all of those old hymns were singing about one thing… or maybe I should say, “one personality”…Jesus Christ!

Now, I know that this comment may sound silly… but I had never quite seen the “SINGLEMINDEDNESS” of the saints that were anointed of the Lord to write those particular lyrics.  I’ve always enjoyed reading about the life stories of the old hymn writers and even though their theology was not always correct,* they wrote their musical psalms from the deep places of their hearts in their desire to honor and worship the ONE who brought salvation, peace, healing, meaning and/or understanding and deliverance into their lives.

In teaching his church concerning the most successful way to ask God, in faith, for wisdom (or anything else for that matter), Pastor James wrote,

“A person who has doubts shouldn't expect to receive anything from the Lord. (for) A person who has doubts is thinking about two different things at the same time and can't make up his mind about anything.” (God’s Word ©)

After I poured the water into the coffee maker, measured in the right amount of New Orleans style coffee with chicory and switched it on, I returned to my place before the sink in the open plan kitchen/living room and allowed myself to get lost in the lyrics of the songs resonating from my surround-sound home entertainment system.

I was amazed at how much the songs repeatedly spoke of the name of Jesus and of His glorious works and of how they succeeded in focusing the one’s singing the songs on Him, and if being sung at a church service, to prepare and fine tune the congregation’s hearts to receive the spoken word and teaching that would come forth from the Pastor’s sermon.

When you read the full first chapter of James, you’ll quickly understand that he is talking about how to develop and walk in strong faith… and especially so, when the trials and tribulations of life come knocking on our front doors!  In verses seven and eight he brings home the potential damage to or nullification of our faith when we allow doubt to enter into our hearts and heads.  He emphatically states that to doubt is to be double-minded and that doublemindedness leaves us empty and confused.

To James, the key to a successful faith-life, is to stay “SINGEMINDEDLY” focused on the truth of God’s Word and not be drawn into questioning and doubt by what you might… or might not see happening around you.

If you can make the time, I would suggest that you read from the Old Testament in the book of Joshua, chapter one, verses 1-9.  Here you’ll find Moses getting ready to turn the reigns of leadership over to his second-in-command before the Children of Israel entered into the promised land.  In these verses, Moses is giving the KEYS to success for Joshua and their countrymen as they face the many potentially insurmountable challenges on the other side of the Jordan River.

In verse eight,** Moses specifically tells Joshua FIVE THINGS that he and the Children of Israel (stated as “YOU”) each needed to do in order to make their way prosperous and have good success during their journey and the battles they would face.  Moses was sternly encouraging them to BE and STAY “SINGLEMINDED” in the pursuit of the wonderful life that God had promised them.

And you know?  He is still telling us the same thing TODAY!  For you see… just as those old hymns still work to focus our attention on Jesus and the truth of His Word, God wants us to stay “SINGLEMINDEDLY” connected and in tune to His “living and active” Word that is found within the pages of our Bibles. (See: Hebrews 4:12)  For when we consistently DO this, we’ll personally experience God’s promise of “making your way prosperous and have good success.” (KJV)

The modern Message Bible tells us to “make sure you practice everything written in it (God’s Word).  (for) then you’ll get where you’re going and then you’ll succeed.”

My goal in life has always been to succeed in the things that I do… and I bet that I could say the same exact thing about you!  And so, this my friend… is the secret and powerful way to make that desired success happen for you!

Have a terrific week, and as you do, keep EXPECTING God’s BEST as you “SINGLEMINDEDLY” focus your attention, your thoughts, your words, and your actions on Him!”

 

*But the same can also be said for some of the contemporary Christian and Southern Gospel songs that I hear on the radio…

**See: Joshua1:8 in The New American Standard Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.