Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

FRESH and FITTED!

If you were raised in an Italian family, then you’ll understand what I’m about to share… When I was a child, it was very common to see my mom in the kitchen on most days, both before or after breakfast, prepping things for the evening meal.  Like I’ve mentioned before, dinner was usually an event in our home.  It wasn’t just something that was slapped together at the last minute. 

My mom normally had the meals planned out for the week and began talking about them and taking things out to defrost the night before!  I think part of it was an interaction that my mom and dad enjoyed.  He liked to brag about her cooking (which is ALWAYS a good thing to do with an Italian wife) and I believe that she liked to tempt him with her vivid descriptions of the coming dinner meal!

So therefore, not knowing any different… it is a tradition that I continue, even if it is just me at home!  I have a cousin that I text each day who lives back in California (a daughter of my mom’s sister) who does the same thing!  The only difference being that she is a gourmet Italian cook, like her female predecessors in the family, and while I can cook a mean plate of spaghetti and meatballs… my recipe book (and enthusiasm without Piper) is quite limited! 

For me it is more about taking out a piece of chicken or a steak to defrost and plan the side dishes to go with it… or to occasionally think about picking up a fast-food burger for the evening meal.  And since I don’t care for the hassle of rush hour traffic, I normally find myself going out around four in the afternoon to get the burger and then toss it into the fridge to reheat a couple of hours later.  But what I’ve come to learn… is that even with the marvels of the modern microwave oven… the food is always better when eaten FRESH off the grill!

And you know what else I’ve discovered over the years?  I’ve found out that it is also much more effective to face each new day and its own unique set of circumstances, with the consumption of a FRESH meal from the Word of God!  2 Timothy 3:17 tells us that our Father God gave us His Word, written down within the covers of yours and my Bibles, so,

“That the man and/or woman of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.”  (KJV) 

It’s interesting to note that the word translated “PERFECT” for the King of England in 1611, actually connotates the idea of being FRESH, complete, ready, FITTED, or to have a special aptitude for given uses." (Strong’s, Thayer’s and Mounce) 

So, as the Apostle Paul was telling his young pastor protégé Timothy, as well as us today, we need to be ready each day with a FRESH meal of God’s Word that is FITTED for the current and unique needs that we face each new day… And like my dear Italian chef mom, whose meals could rival any Italian restaurant in San Francisco, you’ve got to plan ahead for each meal and take whatever time is necessary to prep, cook and then serve the gastronomical masterpiece!

The thought of being “FITTED” for each situation reminded me this morning of my wife who had a couple of FITTED long sleeve blouses as well as a really sharp FITTED red denim short waisted (or cropped?) jacket.  Those particular articles of clothing were designed to fit her specific body-type.  One of the blouses was actually custom sown for her… kind of like the way her wedding dress was altered to perfectly fit her and accentuate her tiny waist. 

Unlike most mass-produced clothing, these items specifically highlighted her slim and shapely form.  In other words, they were made for her… for her personal figure and special requirements.  At 5’ 2-1/2” tall and weighing in at barely 105 lbs… those blouses and jacket were not going to fit a lot of other women!

Likewise, our intake of the Word of God also needs to be FRESH each day.  We can’t depend on yesterday’s revelation or meal to meet another day’s unique needs.  And similar to Piper’s FITTED clothes, God will design each day’s revelation from His Word to fit you specifically… with your special and unique background, experiences, education and personality!

If you’re anything like me… then you most likely would enjoy a FRESH piping hot meal over reheated leftovers any day!  So then, I would encourage each of us to take advantage of the FRESH meals that are FITTED just perfectly for each of us individually and being served on a daily basis! 

That is a FREE benefit that I aim to participate in… Don’t you?  Have a great new week, and as you do… keep EXPECTING to participate in and enjoy God’s unique BEST for you… each and every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.