Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, August 2, 2021

Not Bragging

I was thinking after posting our last blog to our blog site* over this last weekend, that I purposely use lots of personal examples in order to emphasize the points that I am trying to make.  But until then, I had never considered the thought that some readers may think that I am bragging about how good that I have done things, or lived my life.

When in reality, I only use those examples because they are so personal to me and hopefully demonstrate the activity and power of God working through the faith of an everyday, normal guy who has made his fair share of mistakes in his life… but does continually endeavor to learn to Trust the LORD with all my heart, and not rely on my own understanding.  But in all my ways acknowledge Him, so that He will make my paths smooth.” (Proverbs 3:5-6 God’s Word © - personalized) 

When I went back to college as a married man with our first child on the way in 1979… this time with a definite plan and purpose (seminary/ministry)… I discovered that I really enjoyed school and learning facts, figures and detailed information.  After barely maintaining a “B” average in high school and a high “C” average in junior college, I began to see lots of “A’s” on my quarterly reports in college… and surprisingly enough, graduated on the Dean’s List – PTL!

The same could be said for my time in Bible College almost thirty years later and in-between those years with the countless management classes I took at my secular places of employment and the vast myriad of training classes and conferences that Piper and I attended with the different churches we served in.

When it came to ministry and my working knowledge and understanding of the scriptures, I desired to be a well-equipped servant of the Lord so that I could be of great encouragement to those we interacted with.  I never possessed the gift to quickly memorize and practically apply scripture to life’s situations like Piper did.  I had to work at it… and still do!  I’m not saying that Piper didn’t study the Word, she just seemed to be able to process it, explain it and then live it in simple, usable terms… a lot faster than me! 

Over the years though, I have attained a wealth of Biblical knowledge and understanding.  I can… and rather enjoy, teaching the Word of God to just about any age group!  Piper and I both together and individually, have counselled countless adults, married couples, youth, children and their parents, throughout the thirty some years we participated in active church ministry.  We’ve led classes with Catholics, Baptists, Presbyterians, Pentecostals and even one in the local Mormon Ward!  I can honestly say that we gained a very diverse and ecumenical experiential background!

But after all of that… when Piper was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in the summer of 2007… I learned a very valuable lesson.  I may not have been as quick to learn and process Biblical facts as Piper in the past… but this time, when it affected her very life… understanding and the reasoning for it came very rapidly to me! 

Throughout the following eleven years (and up to and including today) I’ve learned and lived within the reality that it is not so much:

 WHAT or HOW MUCH you know… but WHO you know!

So… today’s blog post is a little teaser of what’s to come over the next few weeks!  I hope that you’ll join in with us**… and tell a friend or two… as we explore this break-through subject and fact of our Christian faith.  It is a subject that can and will literally change your life… not just in eternity… but right now… today!

Have a great day as we also dive into August and the warm days and adventures that go with it!  Then, as you do, keep expecting God’s best for your life!


*http://pjberruto.blogspot.com/

**You can follow us on Face Book or on our blog site at: pjberruto.blogspot.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.