Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, June 14, 2021

FLAG DAY

When I looked up to my “America’s Backroads” calendar hanging above my desk in the study this morning, I took special note that today is FLAG DAY!  I got into the habit years ago of hand-picking a pictorial calendar for my desk at work, that would help me to be drawn into the majesty of our country’s dramatic landscapes and temporarily transport my thoughts away from the pressure of the job!  For most of those years it was the sweeping and panoramic views of trains crossing America in the “Trains” calendar put out by Trains Magazine.  This year though, I felt that a change was needed so, after much deliberation, I purchased a 2021 calendar portraying “America’s Backroads.”  Therefore, my first view of FLAG DAY today, was seen from a dirt road in the beautiful country found in Gillespie County, Texas!

The patriotic thought of FLAG DAY inspired me to jump up out of my desk chair, grab our flag and hang it in the new flag holder that I had purchased and installed in the front yard last summer.  I can’t help but to get the chills every time I raise the flag over my yard.  Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned, but I am still moved by the sight of Old Glory… and just like I began each and every school day as an Elementary student at both St Rose and later St Eugene’s Parochial Schools, I stood at attention on my front porch and proudly recited the Pledge of Allegiance to our flag.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I have been more-than-bothered over the last few years as an increasing number of political leaders, schools, and civic leaders as well, have voiced the desire to stop the daily recitation of The Pledge of Allegiance in our schools, teach that respect for our flag is somehow racist, and want to remove the phrase “Under God” from the official wording of the pledge... declaring that the words “Under God” were added in 1954.  But if one were to take the minute or two it takes to check the record, they would note that the very first Pledge of Allegiance, written in 1887 by a veteran of the Civil War, Captain George T. Balch, gave thanksgiving, respect and honor to God for our once-again united nation by declaring, “We give our heads and hearts to God and our country; one country, one language, one flag!”*

Well, I for one have to agree with Captain Balch because I can’t think about the majesty of our Flag that so brightly, brashly and colorfully represents our country here in the USA… without giving all the glory and honor for it to the Lord God Almighty.  I have had the pleasure of physically living on both coasts of our nation, as well as my current residence pretty close to right smack in the middle of it!  Each part of it gorgeous in its own right with its unique landscapes, history, culture, people and attitudes.  Being the offspring of a proud New York raised and bred Mother and an equally proud West Coast Father, kind of gave me and my siblings a multifaceted look on life and how our differences make us stronger.

When I step out the door each day for my dog’s and my morning walk, I can’t help but take a moment to thank the Lord for the neighborhood where I live, as well as to thank Him for the beauty of His majesty that He wants to show me as we walk.  But it is not just the physical beauty of these United States that I am thankful for, but the way the Lord uses His family of Christian individuals to spread His grace, His peace, His Love, and His power to bring inner healing, strength and beauty to our co-citizens of this great land.

I have heard stories over the years told by people who to be honest… don’t really know what they are talking about when it comes to the Christian foundation of our country as well as to their disdain of the Christian religion as a whole… but that is the first mistake they make, for Christianity isn’t a religion but a relationship between mankind and the Lord Jesus Christ.  Those without that relationship… which Jesus died to make available to all mankindDon’t… and actually… can’t understand the grace, peace, love and power that He brings into a person’s life.  To put it very plainly… those individuals have bought into a lie.

The Apostle Peter saw that same phenomenon in his time when he wrote, what was thought to be his last letter before his martyrdom, to the believers of his time that were literally scattered all over the known world.  In speaking of the Gospel message that he and the other Apostles taught, he stated, “When we apostles told you about the powerful coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, we didn't base our message on clever myths that we made up. Rather, we witnessed his majesty with our own eyes.  (2 Peter 1:16 God’s Word ©) 

He was basically saying that these people who twist the truth and make up lies about our country and our God “Come a Day Late and a Dollar Short!”  Peter said, I’ve personally witnessed the majesty of our God.  And I bet that many, if not most of you could also speak that same truth when it comes to witnessing the majesty of God in your own lives… I KNOW that Piper and I sure could!

And like I said… I can’t help but compare the similarities of the majesty and beauty of our country with the beauty and majesty of God, our Father!  Am I saying that our country is perfect?  Not At All… but we definitely have a solid foundation of Christian principles to continually look at in order to guide us through the rough periods of our history.  I guess the one BIG difference between the majesty of our country and the majesty of our God on High… is that while we in these United States are continually growing and many times learning from our imperfect ways… what we DO HAVE is a PERFECT God whose majesty will lead us, and guide us until we see Jesus come again to take we, His church home!

Have a great day celebrating our American FLAG and everything GOOD that it stands for… and as you do, keep expecting God’s best for your life.

 

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.