Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

The Place of Joy

Joy (joi)

 

the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation:   (Oxford Online Dictionaries)

 

I was talking with our oldest son yesterday and at one point we got on the subject of the JOY that just always seemed to emanate from his mother.  I mentioned that it was very interesting for me to see that even as the debilitating symptoms of Alzheimer’s encroached upon her, that she never lost that JOY.  Granted, as things progressed, there were long periods of time when she would seemingly stare off into space without demonstrating any physical symptoms of recognition, looking like she was lost to the world.  But every so often the real Piper would pop out and when it did, her expressions and the few words were always filled with JOY!

Like the big smile that she gave to our neighbor just a week or so before she left us for heaven.  Her suddenly turning to me in the months previously to her passing, looking me straight in the eye and with a big smile saying “I love you!”  Whenever the real Piper arose to the surface… it was always the JOYFUL Piper we all knew and loved.  Throughout the last eight years of her life, I can attest that she NEVER got out of sorts, angry, impatient or violent… as numerous (helpful?) people warned me that she most likely would!

You see, I knew my wife.  I very well knew what was inside of her.  Over the years I had seen older individuals in our church as well as family members and some friends who seemed to become a different person (and not in positive way) in the last weeks and hours of their lives. But Piper I knew!  I fully expected none of that to come out of her… because there was none of it in her!  Yes, I believe that she was born with the God given gift of a JOYFUL personality, but she also spent the entire time that I knew her cultivating that particular fruit of the Spirit as defined in Galatians 5:22.

I kinda got stuck on a scripture this morning that specifically focuses in on the subject of JOY.  As I have mentioned before, the book of Nehemiah chronicles a very bitter sweet time in lives of the Israelite nation.  Having just returned to their beloved city of Jerusalem after an extended period of exile, they stood aghast at the destruction that overwhelmed them anywhere they looked.

Tears were openly flowing, emotions were abounding unrestrained, and hopelessness began to settle in.  So, what did the leaders do?  They called a public gathering and the priests began to read the Holy Scriptures concerning all the promises that God had made to them.  Then Nehemiah the governor stood before them and in no uncertain terms told them to stop their bawling, to stop feeling sorry for themselves and

“he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the JOY of the LORD is your strength.” (KJV)

His command to them in the face of the spiritual, physical, emotional and financial pain they felt was to take up the JOY of the Lord!  I personally liked the way that The Bible in Basic English put this verse saying, “this day is holy to our Lord: and let there be no grief in your hearts; for the joy of the Lord is your strong place.” 

The Voice Translation encourages us to, “Let the Eternal’s own JOY be your protection.”  The Good News Bible declares that “The joy that the LORD gives you will make you strong."  And of course, my favorite God’s Word © translation says “Don't be sad because the joy you have in the LORD is your strength." 

Although all these various translations may use different words, they all point out the fact that this kind of JOY is His JOY!  It is the JOY that we get from spending time with Him.  I would admit that it was very easy for me to be JOYFUL when I was in the presence of my wife.  The JOY of the Lord that bubbled and gushed out from her would liberally splash on to me when I was with her!

I was watching an old western on the GRIT cable channel last night and feeling nostalgic, when the sweetheart of the lead character reached out to touch the shoulder of her loved one in order to encourage him as he went out to face the bad guys... and I immediately found myself looking at a picture of Piper on the wall next to the TV and cried out, “Oh Piper, I miss your joy, your words of comfort and the feel of your hand in mine.”  Whenever I felt down and needed encouragement or a touch of JOY, she was always there for me.  But now… well now I’m on my own.  It’s been more difficult for me to put His JOY on in her absence.… but it is NOT impossible

So, what have I been training myself to do?  When  am down, I begin to audibly praise Him, confess His Word and simply take the time to get near to Him.  I’ve discovered time and time again, that my praises unto Him act as a conduit into His presence.  Psalm 16:11 teaches us that “Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of JOY; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.” (KJV) 

And its sort of funny, because EVERYTIME I get into His presence, His JOY splashes on to me, my expectations are lifted up to the place where His are and I feel a whole lot better!  Not only do I feel better, but I also know that I am safe and secure and at rest in His strong place.

His JOY can do that for both you and me!  It’s the place I desire to be and the attitude in life that I want to display to the world and liberally splash it on to everyone that comes near me, near my house or even as they pass my car on the roadways around Tulsa Oklahoma! 

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.